Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDBA Thunder On The Green

cyclone
    Hey Ken in the first pic your boat looks like its taken a great set. looks nice and dry and running good.
    the second pic the nose is way up there.
    what was the ride plate angle, nozzle angle and type of shoe you ran in photo one and what were all those parameters set at in photo two?
    it's a pretty dramatic change the height of the roost looks similiar so i'm assuming your nozzle angle didnt change. Is the second photo from the start of the course or the end?
    I understand if you dont want to divulge the info. I"m just curious because we have similar hulls. thanks.
    -mike

what kind of times does this one turn? Looks like a mean motor in there..
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...dogAndPaul.jpg

Ken F
    Cyclone,
    I had problems all day sunday with the boat hopping on the big end.
    What you are seeing in that pic is one of the hops....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvksroVJlWg
    Ken

cyclone
    Cyclone,
    I had problems all day sunday with the boat hopping on the big end.
    What you are seeing in that pic is one of the hops....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvksroVJlWg
    Ken
    in the video the nose looks to be about where it is in the photo-real high. i'm sure it got higher with the hop but its still pretty high beforehand. I'm not knocking you i'm just curious what the hardware is set at for it to run that high.

Ken F
    Cyclone,
    Not to avoid your question, but It is totally differtnt now, and was nowhere near right at the time. Duane and Brian went to work on it as soon as I got back, and we have been testing with the DataAquisition computer all week. It's perfect now.
    I believe at that point I was running 9 or 10 degrees of wedge, and a flat shoe by mistake. I had meant to grab a back-cut shoe out of the toolbox, and grabbed the wrong one. (In the heat to get the shoes changed between rounds)
    The boat runs it's best with a back-cut shoe. We've tried flat, tapered, at all different settings and that's what it likes best. My engine is set quite a ways back if you notice because it was built as a lake boat, and I normally run a back seat. The engine also dynoed only 710hp on 93 octane this spring when it was cool, so in 100 degree heat, who knows? I'm way short on HP to make the hull really work right.
    Ken F

cyclone
    Cyclone,
    Not to avoid your question, but It is totally differtnt now, and was nowhere near right at the time. Duane and Brian went to work on it as soon as I got back, and we have been testing with the DataAquisition computer all week. It's perfect now.
    I believe at that point I was running 9 or 10 degrees of wedge, and a flat shoe by mistake. I had meant to grab a back-cut shoe out of the toolbox, and grabbed the wrong one. (In the heat to get the shoes changed between rounds)
    The boat runs it's best with a back-cut shoe. We've tried flat, tapered, at all different settings and that's what it likes best. My engine is set quite a ways back if you notice because it was built as a lake boat, and I normally run a back seat. The engine also dynoed only 710hp on 93 octane this spring when it was cool, so in 100 degree heat, who knows? I'm way short on HP to make the hull really work right.
    Ken F
    that's cool.
    9 or 10 degrees up?
    where was the nozzle angle set at?
    what was the ride plate at?

LakesOnly
    what kind of times does this one turn? Looks like a mean motor in there..
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...ndPaul.jpgThat particular engine is a 665 cubic inch deal. It is no longer in the boat (pic is from last year's event). The boat and engine were owned by Lem Evans, who held down both ends of the APBA Pro Gas Jet World record in the early nineties (not by the above boat/engine).
    Lem pulled and sold the 665 engine and the boat belongs to another KDBA member, and now has a 533 cube engine in it.
    It ran in the 9-second class back then and was regularly the boat to beat.
    LO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12