Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to do.

A shot in the dark here, it appears your logs may be inverted to make use of the angled discharge. See if the manifolds can be switched from left to right, this would lower the riser to clear the transom.

gr16241
    You might consider using Salsbury (spelling ?) covers over your exhaust tips. They aren't much to look at but are much more efficient than the inside rubber flappers that always burn off. I never had any problems after I installed them on my boat several years ago. I just recently took my covers off as I went to thru transom headers. Let me know if you are interested.

ck7684
    Yea, those things arent pretty. I just put in new exhaust tips and blew those rubber flappers right off. I had switched the rubbers in my old tips to some that I cut out from shoe sole rubber that I got at the local shoe/repair shop. It was twice as thick and lasted just fine with my old engine, but I havent tried 'em with this new mill yet...waiting to get it wet still...

I've got a pair of Salsbury outer flappers on the boat, it was the inner flappers for me that made the difference. I swore, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on headers, but DAMN, I'm havin too much fun with this boat! GR, how do ya like the headers? Was their a noticeable difference in performance? Are they much noisier than the logs? I'll plan on getting a set this winter. I went out and looked at the logs, I think it would work to flip them and use the tall risers, but theirs not enough summer left to mess with them. CK, the engine looks great. How big is it? http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3184/dsc00596kt4.jpg http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5858/dsc00603nr4.jpg

gr16241
    Went with Lightning thru transom headers - oh how nice!! I picked up 400 rpm and they sound awesome. Highly recommend them. I have a buddy with a much larger 540 inch Ford that picked up 800 rpms versus the logs and risers. I do have a set of logs and risers off my bbc if anyone is in need. Have the Lightnings designed for your application - they will need several measurements. Can't go wrong on a big block - not sure how they perform on a small block.

kcsteck
    hey rc you sellin some stuff on ebay? seen some stuff for sale with boat lookin like yours in the back ground.
    Casey

Nope, nothing on ebay.... anything good?

Switch to ceramic coated headers.
    Who makes a thru hull set for a small block?

Went with Lightning thru transom headers - oh how nice!! I picked up 400 rpm and they sound awesome. Highly recommend them. I have a buddy with a much larger 540 inch Ford that picked up 800 rpms versus the logs and risers. I do have a set of logs and risers off my bbc if anyone is in need. Have the Lightnings designed for your application - they will need several measurements. Can't go wrong on a big block - not sure how they perform on a small block.
    GR, just looked at the Lightning headers at CP. Holy Cow! I only gave a couple hundred more for the whole boat! A little pricey for me, I'm married with children, but man, they are nice.

ck7684
    If you got your problem resolved, I would leave your manifolds as is. Headers are definately nice, but out of my price range too. Plus there arent any that will fit under my engine cover. That's OK because my goal was to bring back stock performance with more reliability and I think I have more power than I really need for this little boat.
    BTW my engine is just a run of the mill .060 over 454 (468). The stock engine was an Indmar 454...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast