Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross Flow Info

FCnLA
    rude235,
    Mine is a '80 235 Evin. I brought to XP spec, which is machined the inside of the block/cylinders just foward of the bypass covers. The pistons also require machining if you use regular pistons. XP,GT(same dif) are twice as high($) as regular pistons, so I had mine machined. This was the largest HP increase that I have done. More punch and better midrange. Fiber reeds, best mod for the money. Smoother idle and all around better running, way quiter! Velocity stacks,
    can't tell a whole lot, has to help some,but I can change my jets without pulling the carbs off,way cool. I afraid we are limited on HP parts because of the age of our engines. I got all of my parts from Land&Sea including solid motor mounts and nose cone. I have heard that the 2.6 XP was 245HP. Is your motor an XP? Mine runs pretty good for a dinosaur. Turned a 29 pitch SRX 6800 before I hit a log, OUCH! I'm considering a light wheel if I can find one.
    FCnLa

rude235
    thanx for the info. it's hard to find someone who for one has something besides a merc, and for another who has a 235. mine is not an xp/gt. unfortunately, i can't really tell you much about what kind of numbers mine will run. i've had the boat for a couple of seasons but the jack plate does not work properly and the local guy has no idea how to fix it.

FCnLA
    Hey rude235,
    What's a matter with your jack plate that it can't be fixed?
    FCnLa

rude235
    the plate will move up but will slide back down on it's own. i've taken it to the local mech. and he has no idea who made the plate or where to look for parts for it. he said he's never seen a jack plate like it. most likely the company that made it went out of business according to him. can't find a name or number on the thing. the boat is an '83 nordic viking, if that helps any.

FCnLA
    OK, I take it that it's hydrolic?
    FC

rude235
    yes, it is hydraulic. so i would think any hydraulic shop should be able to fix but the local shops dont want to touch it because it is a boat. i'm still looking and doing some calling though.

rude235
    yes, it is hydraulic. so i would think any hydraulic shop should be able to fix but the local shops dont want to touch it because it is a boat. i'm still looking and doing some calling though.

FCnLA
    Sounds like a leaking seal or spool valve (internal leak). Is the pump assembly in the boat or on the jackplate itself? Does the pump assembly have a data tag on it, with manufacturer's name, etc? If you took the pump assembly out they might work on it. If it's a decent sized shop, they ought to have the seals. There several shops around that make new ones, but they are high dollar!
    FC.

rude235
    the pump is inside the boat. i've tried looking for a tag with some numbers on it or a name or something but haven't found one. i haven't taken the pump off yet though. that will be my next step. i would rather get this one fixed instead of spending a grand on a new one. thanx for the advice.

BW1969
    hey rude235,
    You might want to start looking for a CCC front half and intake for that old cross-flow in addition to the lightweight flywheel. It will allow you to add a second bank of carbs to your motor to really let it breathe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast