Thread: Whats needed for enclosed engine ???

DUECE'SDAD
    First time running an enclosed engine and wondering what all i need ??? This boat was running but wasnt all on the up and up on saftey. . . I know you need some blowers or something and some fresh air vents but what about the MARINE grade starter, alternator, distributor, carb, is all this crap really necassary ???
    Give me a link to good boat safety for enclosed engines for the first timer !!!

jbone
    No link for whats needed, but you'll need a marine fuel pump and flame arrestor in addition to the items you mentioned.
    Who knows, maybe you could run for years without this stuff, but Murphy will see to it that something goes wrong at the worst possible time.
    The risk of an explosion with my family on board, or someone else's family is not worth the money I would save on parts.
    J

502 JET
    Take a look at the USCG boating safety site (http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/index.htm) for some info.

YeLLowBoaT
    you also need a marine starter as they will prevent sparks( think bomb waiting to happen if there is gas fumes)
    you alos need a vent blower. you must run it 4 mins before starting or after fueling by law.

speedymopars
    The difference between a marine starter and a car starter is a big washer that is a spark arrester. From what I've seen, that washer is a $200 item. I had my auto starter completely overhauled (basically they only reused the case) and upgraded to a marine build with the washer for $95.
    The alternator has the same issue.
    To me the starter is the biggest one - gas fumes are heavier than air, so they will collect right where a normal starter sits.... Plus all the other items are only engaged when the engine is running, and presumably sucking in fresh air from outside.

SB
    Well I don't use a blower. I pull back the engine cover to let the fumes out. I've always wondered how many fires are caused by the blower.

ck7684
    I doubt many fires are caused by the blowers. The blower should have a hose that directs the airflow down where the fumes collect also. These items are required by the coast guard. I prefer them just for piece of mind...

OKIE-JET
    I doubt many fires are caused by the blowers. The blower should have a hose that directs the airflow down where the fumes collect also. These items are required by the coast guard. I prefer them just for piece of mind...
    :idea: ...I thought the blower was for suckin the fumes out...:idea: . Also, a top mount starter is safer too.

ck7684
    ahhhh, maybe, but I still have a hose that goes down to the floor where the fumes would be, and another hose on the vent that goes down there also...

Xlration Marine
    Auto motive parts on your boat engine. Hmmmm you own a kachina?? Yes small "k", not worthy of a capital!!