Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 21 Tpr

Danhercules
    Take the cap off and thow on a deck!!

21TUNL
    update
    She is getting a 555 Merlin!! built by Dale Green.
    looking at getting it wet mid sept. I will have complete part list for motor build, all the best stuff.
    The motor that was in the boat when I bought it from ultra was a POJ!!
    I had maybe 5 hours on the motor and bang! That was great for the vacation.

MBlaster
    update
    looking at getting it wet mid sept. I will have complete part list for motor build, all the best stuff.
    Gee, I think I'd be keeping not selling.

gqchris
    update
    The motor that was in the boat when I bought it from ultra was a POJ!!
    I had maybe 5 hours on the motor and bang! That was great for the vacation.
    Wow, I was seriously looking to get that boat to. Sorry to hear about the motor problem, that just plain sucks.

21TUNL
    Ya,, there was evidence of being blown up before!!! Seems the gentleman that traded it in to ultra tossed in some mismatched parts just to make it run for a sale. Nice.
    My conscience would kill me. I wonder if he has heard of this yet. I have talked to John at ultra and got a "sorry" but not much else. Cant really blame him. What am I supposed to do, travel from Seattle to san diego, test the boat on the lake and then strip apart the motor to see whats inside?? I dont think any dealer would allow that. Besides the story i got was that the motor had been gone through and was basically new,,,,RIGHT.
    I had been looking for 2 years for a boat like this and it was a big investment for me.
    If I do sell this ride someone is going to get a very nice jet. I will update as the story continues.

Have you thought about selling it with out the motor?

I remember this boat being rigged ... nice ride

21TUNL
    http://www.nloc.net/photopost/data/1...dium/209-3.jpg
    The 555 merlin is underway,, looking forward to the install.
    estimate 800++ on pump gas!!

21TUNL
    Ya,, there was evidence of being blown up before!!! Seems the gentleman that traded it in to ultra tossed in some mismatched parts just to make it run for a sale. Nice.
    My conscience would kill me. I wonder if he has heard of this yet. I have talked to John at ultra and got a "sorry" but not much else. Cant really blame him. What am I supposed to do, travel from Seattle to san diego, test the boat on the lake and then strip apart the motor to see whats inside?? I dont think any dealer would allow that. Besides the story i got was that the motor had been gone through and was basically new,,,,RIGHT.
    I had been looking for 2 years for a boat like this and it was a big investment for me.
    If I do sell this ride someone is going to get a very nice jet. I will update as the story continues.
    That is half the story.... This time last year I was just planning my trip to socal to pick up the new ride. In my conversations w/ U.B. I was assured I would not be disappointed in the boat and everything was in working order. When I got to the dealership, one of the workers hooked the boat to his truck and off we went for a test ride. Boat ran well. By this time it was getting late in the afternoon and everyone started the hurryup mode to get home. I gave the cash to the office staff (owner not in that day). They put shrink wrap on the boat, hooked r up to the suv and we were off on a two day trip north. On the way I noticed a clunk when the breaks were applied. I thought this might be from a sloppy reciever on my truck and drove nice and easy. When I got home I removed the plug from the tonge and found no oil in the resevoir.
    Keep in mind that its november and in the seattle area, your not going to be boating till june. So the TPR goes into the boat shed for a winter nap. (heated and dehumidified for my new baby)
    June arrives and I prepare for the first trip to the lake, wow was I stoked.
    Did a little wax,, gas,, oh yea,, add fluid to the resevoir. I get about a mile from home and one of the brakes lock up so tight the drum was red hot. When I stopped on the side of the road and walked back to take a look the bearing buddy cap came flying off and hot grease was spurting out of the buddy. Nice. Tosted the bearing. Another one locked on the way home... loads o fun. So it occurs to me... I see why there is no oil in the tongue, because if there was the brakes would not have permitted the test ride or to get the boat home. I had to replace all four backing plates as each of the cylinders were corroded to the point of no return. Also the master in the tongue. Since the boat was traded in this condition to the dealer, obviously they had done no safety inspection. (but "everything was in working order")
    Whats aggrivating about this is that its months later when I can even use the boat for the first time (stinking northwest weather). I would have had no problem paying an extra grand had the dealer actually looked into the brake system on the trailer and fixed it. (3 axles!!) Did the gent that traded in the boat just empty the fluid so as to not have a issue with the brakes?
    Its seems ultra just took the fellows word at everything about the boat and past this on to the buyer. Even when you buy a cheap used car they do a safety inspection and make sure the brakes work. But this was not some old poj used car,,, it was an 01 TPR.
    This was just preview of what was to come as far as the engine goes. As was mentioned before, there were mismatched parts used in the 468chev that was in the boat and evidence of it being blown up before. The wear pattern on the cam did not match the rollers. Head gaskets were different side to side,,, on and on. Was the engine pulled and this one put in for the sale??????
    So I get a couple of outings on the boat and then on the third day into my vacation in Aug. she goes boom. MAYBE 4-5 hours on the boat.
    Did I mention the pump needs a rebuild??
    Soooooo,, THANKS ULTRA BOATS!!! Thanks for helping me to understand that the buyer needs to check EVERYTHING before putting the cash on the table. Even if the info comes from a dealer that is highly respected. I hope though that you may also learn somthing from this as well. A test run and inspection of your own may discover some problem that will prevent a load of aggrivation later. Also it may be wise to take the information than is offered on a boat as a trade in with a grain of salt so to speak. (probably hard to do though when its a trade in for a big dollar boat)
    Also,,,, THANKS ULTRA BOATS,,,, because if the motor had not blown I would not have a 555 merlin,, a forged internal, balanced, beautiful beast thats going into my TPR this week!!!
    This TPR really is a beautiful boat. If I have ruffled a few feathers I apologize.
    For those who think this was a "stupid Post", M6T0.
    Thanks for readn,, jus had to get this off my chest.
    21tunl

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
    I thought you were being awful nice concidering!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast