Thread: Calgo steering? Is it worth it?

widowmaker
    Soon to be changing my doghouse to transom plates on the daytona. I'd like to only do this once. Sure looks like a nice setup, but pricey....

SK48
    Just my .02 cents, I would use almost any steering system but Calgo. It might be o.k. for drag racing but in my book thats about it. I have driven hundreds of laps circle racing over the last 30 yrs. , and have never had a steering failure with anything but calgo. I have had calgo fail on three different boats, that were in great shape with low hours on the steering system.

LGCDEVIL
    Just my .02 cents, I would use almost any steering system but Calgo. It might be o.k. for drag racing but in my book thats about it. I have driven hundreds of laps circle racing over the last 30 yrs. , and have never had a steering failure with anything but calgo. I have had calgo fail on three different boats, that were in great shape with low hours on the steering system.
    Please elaborate......

Dogballs
    I think thats a bunch of bull Sch*t.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Just call me stupid BUT what is the advantage of calgo steering!!!! Does it respond faster? Budlight

RCB19
    Just call me stupid BUT what is the advantage of calgo steering!!!! Does it respond faster? Budlight
    Yes. There is zero slop in the steering.

Blown Income
    I like mine. It's smooth and tight. I did have a cable fray on me but the sheathing had a nasty bend in it as it went thru the transom. TPR hooked me up with a new one and Tom (r.i.p.) pulled the tension for me, good as new!

cave
    There are a few V-drive guys here that have had theirs for many years. Is it because of the rudder vs nozzle.
    I had a really tight steering after a few years. I really thought about this type of steering. Not much tension compared to my teleflex. No room for a rack & pinion.
    I have a kinda fix for mine but it would be nice to have near effortless steering.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Yes. There is zero slop in the steering.
    If you have slop in your steering, you need to fix/or replace it. My steering has no play in it and it's rack and pinion. BL AND it's not tight either!