Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smallblock I/O vs. BBC jet.......

Jim B.
    What would the pros and cons of a BBC jet drive vs. a smallblock I/O setup in a new 21 bowrider like an ultra or essex?? My wife and I are looking and i'm trying to decide what would be better.............I mean I know a jet drive is going to cost less vs. an i/o in the same boat and is going to be less maintenance and safer(for the kiddies) but would a smallblock I/O get better gas mileage??
    How is towing a skier between the two? I've never owned an I/O only jets so those that have experienced both please chime in.
    i'm looking for a good all around performance ski setup that gets descent gas mileage. Going fast is not a concern........this is going to be a family ski boat....What are your recommendations??? Thanks!
    JiM

Run_em_Hard
    Where do you boat the most???

pw_Tony
    An I/O would whoop the Jets azz on gas mileage!
    Have you ever driven a BB jet?
    I/O small block is more practical, but if you're a real boater then you have enough money for more gas right?
    BBC jet is probably more "fun"
    and a small block I/O is more user friendly I suppose, get you to the sand bar, tueb, and go back

Boa1277
    Take it from a big block jet owner who is probably going to convert to a small block I/O because not only will you get much better gas mileage you will probably get 10 more mph. (Depending on how trick the Big Block is) You can get a little small block pushing out 350 hp and you will run 65+ all day long.

pw_Tony
    Take it from a big block jet owner who is probably going to convert to a small block I/O because not only will you get much better gas mileage you will probably get 10 more mph. (Depending on how trick the Big Block is) You can get a little small block pushing out 350 hp and you will run 65+ all day long.
    Obviously I'm not sure what kind of boat you have, but one of my fathers boats has a small block I/O, it's a 20' and can get a max speed of 45mph, trim all up, and a couple passenegers with no cargo.
    And my friend's other cheetah 21' has a small block I/O and runs 48mph all day, not quite 65.
    As for the average jet BB boat under 22' will probably do a good 55mph, but that's with a lot more holeshot, and fun factor
    And a jet can plane alot faster

77charger
    I use to have a 19ft jetboat did fine for a jet but like most used some gas.Needed a better family boat so i searched for a 21 ft open boaw and wanted a prop wheter it was a454 bravo or 350 alpha.Found a clean 21 w 350mag/alpha combo(93 eliminator).Top speed is around 58 and on agood day can barely hit 60.with 8 people in it it can still pull 54-55,has no prob pulling skiers and gets on plane pretty good even if loaded heavy.But does not use much gas at all 35 gallons gos a long way with alot of drivin.
    It will take a strong big block/jet in the same size hull to match my speed and i see some of them struggling with full boat to get on plane if they are trying to go against a strong current plus use alot more gas

dicudmore
    I/O all the way jet-drives are for sea doos not family cruisers

Jim B.
    Where do you boat the most???
    Here and there and alittle bit of everywhere .................CA lakes and the river (Parker,Needles)

Jim B.
    An I/O would whoop the Jets azz on gas mileage!
    Have you ever driven a BB jet?
    I/O small block is more practical, but if you're a real boater then you have enough money for more gas right?
    BBC jet is probably more "fun"
    and a small block I/O is more user friendly I suppose, get you to the sand bar, tueb, and go back
    Yes I driven a jet.lots of them. My last boat was an 18 ft. eliminator bubble with 800hp .............................. it's hard to compare that with a stock BBC 21' ultra bowrider

pw_Tony
    Well then you know about what they're good at!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast