Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing Fixed Or Not?

I Know This Is A Very Broad Issue. Over 600 H.p Fixed Or Not (timing That Is ). (i'm In A Jet Boat But Have Owned A K-boat) What Do Ya Think?

Aluminum Squirt
    Fixed for me, but I'm nowhere near 600 HP or high compression. ZZ4, runs WOT almost all the time, not a lot of accel or decel on the whitewater. I think this thread will touch off quite an entertaining conversation, I think its been covered before but its been awhile-Aluminum Squirt

Would Like To Hear More. Could GIVE My Ph # Really Thinking About It! Also Mag With A Coil Or Mds With A Box? ALSO R-U A JET?

The Doctor
    Here goes the "entertaining conversation" as mentioned:
    Your application depends upon your timing needs. I have a Hallett flat we run a basic BBC in with an HEI distributor using mechanical & vacuum advance. It's proven to us to be best to have for the wide variety of speeds/loads/applications we need such as knee-boarding youngsters at 1400 RPM, skiing at 3000-3800 RPM, outrunning jets at 6500 RPM. We also have a twin-turbo BBC Schiada that runs a mag with mechanical advance only. Perfect for starting/picking up a skier/running up the RPM to have timing curve follow the load for efficiency.
    Every situation has it's applicable timing need for maximum efficiency. We also have a few other Biesemeyer flats that run all out that remain fixed as do our dragsters and Funny Cars. When the optimum performance at peak RPM is preferred fixed timing usually is the ticket as a dyno will demonstrate.

hmmm.? NEVER CONSIDERED A MAG WHEN I A HAD A FLATTIE OR UNTIL THEY CAME OUT WITH A MAG 1 WITH A COIL. 4 LOW R'S. MY IGNITION IS MY WEAK LINK. I WANT TO UPGRADE NOT SURE WHICH WAY TO LEAP?

I Know Here I Go Again . Which Idles Better And ,can Anyone Tell Me Why A Mag Is A No No?

Aluminum Squirt
    H2OMOFO, I'll save you a dime and tell you everything I know here (shouldn't take long). I'm not a big motor guy, I just know/read enough to be dangerous. I run locked out because I don't really ever idle around or just cruise. My little boat is a whitewater boat and I race it (or at least I do when my motor is not smoked). Its not very fast, so I pretty much hold it wide open all the time. I haven't raced any truely challenging rivers with technical sections so I just mash it to the floor when I get the flag and let up when I see the flag at the other end. Per my set up guy, locked out is easier to tune, less to go wrong, etc etc. Its a jet, I turn a ZZ4 or equivalent around 5000RPM's on a B cut Legend. No MSD, just stock HEI with good wires and no vac advance. Like I said for simplicity and at the recommendation of people I trust, I run it locked out. Maybe not the best set-up for a recreational boat. I'd be glad to talk to you on the phone, just not this weekend, got bunches of stuff to do. Unfortunately I won't offer you any expert knowledge or even opinions. PM me your number next week if you still want to talk-Aluminum Squirt

Thanks I May Take Ya Up On That. I'd Probably Drop In An Hei. But Because Of My Tunnel Ram Just Won't Happen, (no Room). DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF A MARINE HEI TYPE DIST WHIT A SMALLER HOUSING? RIGHT NOW I HAVE A POS MALLORY, NOT EVEN MARINE. (NOT A UNILITE) . I HEARD THE MOTOR TURNS OVER EAISER WITH FIXED TIMING?

DUCKY
    It is my opinion that MSD has just about the best system going. High quality, nearly infinite tuning capabilities, etc... My take on the timing question is that if it's a lake boat, some some form of advance curve is required. I know plenty of guys who run locked out around the lake and have no issues but I still stand with what I said above. Anyways, locked out motors do not crank over easier, in fact they are generally very hard on starters and flywheels, especially with high compression. This is one of the reasons you see the guy with the old flatty and a locked out mag spin the motor up on the starter before flipping the switch.

I Guess I'll Stick With The Mechanical For Now. I Don't Want To Blow Anything Up (like My $) I Can't Even Time My Motor With A Light. My Balancer Must Have Spun, Or My Pointer On My Timeing Cover Is The Wrong Style Or Something. Can Find Tdc By Pulling A Plug Cause On My Brodix Heads The Plug Hole Is Straight Sideways.
    I've Heard Guys On Here Talk About Using An Exaust Temp. Unit To Tell If You Have Too Much Adv. Is That Even An Option With Water Injected Bassetts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast