Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New To Jets

GAWnCA
    Hi All,
    Well, I've asked a few questions and seems they aren't the right questions, so I thought I better start over by telling you that I'm new to Jet Boats. I just picked up my first, last Tuesday. It's a 1975 Miller Jet/Ski boat, 19' long. In looking at the motor it looks to me like some hack has worked on it.
    First thing I had to do was wire the trailer for lights. It was a total mess. Secondly, I moved to the bow of the hull and found 4 holes (matching on both sides) where it looks like cleats had once been installed. Well, my wife doesn't care for the color of the boat in the first place so I plugged 4 of the holes and mounted my own cleats for the time being. Looks kind of dumb but did fill 4 holes for the time being.
    Then I moved on back to the engine compartment, where the spark plug wires were in such a bad state that several had been running on the headers were burnt. I replaced them with new and re-routed them so they don't touch now but I'm looking for some good loom solutions. The dist. cap and rotor were in fine shape so I just cleaned the gunk off and put them back.
    Then, after looking at many boats on different forums, I moved to the water cooling system. It just doesn't make much since to me. Two of the hoses just loop back on themselves. I know this can't be right. There's no thermostat so I'm looking for suggestions as to correct this mess. Once I have this cleaned up, I've got to concentrate on the wiring harness. There are several wires that go to no where and were just hanging out in space. I put some silicon on them and then added some heat-shrink tubing until I can figure out what goes to what and if these loose wires are really needed.
    Well, there you have it. My last boat was a 12' 6" Hogan Hydro, running a Merc MK 20 with a Quick Silver lower end. Would do about 55 to 60 mph. This was back in 1968-69.
    Here's The Miller!
    http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Miller_at_Home.jpg
    Greg

'75 Miller
    Hello Greg. I too have a 1975 Miller, and I too had to deal with some of the same problems. Hatchet-job wiring, etc. There were so many splices and wires that went to nowhere I just ripped it all out and started from scratch.
    What engine does your '75 have? Can you post some pics of it?

GAWnCA
    Hello Greg. I too have a 1975 Miller, and I too had to deal with some of the same problems. Hatchet-job wiring, etc. There were so many splices and wires that went to nowhere I just ripped it all out and started from scratch.
    What engine does your '75 have? Can you post some pics of it?
    The engine is a 460 Ford. Sounds great and does start right up. Starts better now that the plug wires are like they are suppose to be.
    Here's the front of the engine. I took this to show the plumbing mess.
    http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Engi...lumbing001.jpg
    This is before I did the plug wires.
    It's got an Edelbrock torker 460 manifold that Edelbrock tells me is not for a boat or marine use, then it's topped off with an Edelbrock 1407 4 bbl carb that is for street use. I think someone just had some BBF parts laying around or found them at the flea market. With time, and money, this thing will come together correctly, but for the time being, it runs.

mlaines
    Welcome,
    It looks like whoever did the water lines didn't have any 90's and installed T fittings on the inlets. You don't need them, take them off and install 90 deg fittings and that will take care of the inlet. You don't run a thermostat in a jet boat just the housing with 2 outlets. I looks like someone put a 4 outlet housing on there which you don't need. check this link at the bottom of the page there is a crude diagram that should help. also in the pic it shows a 2 outlet t-stat housing its on an Olds but they look the same. Good luck!!
    http://www.bassettracing.com/newpage...20Installation

'75 Miller
    Look at www.performancejet.com/techtalk.htm
    They cover the issues of cooling and pressure pretty extensively, and clear enough for a dummy like me to understand!

'75 Miller
    Looks like he's got a bypass t-stat (4 ports) that's been bypassed. I'd keep it, just re-plumb correctly. Lose the 2 jumper hoses, supply the headers with water from another source like a tee off the jet, and add a dump in the transom.

GAWnCA
    Well by looking at all the tech articles, I've got a mess and maybe should just start from scratch. Come from the jet pump to the face of the engine. I guess I should replace the 4 port therm. cover, since upon looking at it, it was jury-rigged as well. The mounting holes were re-drilled in order to fit the bolt pattern on the manifold. So, to start with where do I look for the proper therm. cover for the Edelbrock Torker 460 manifold? I'm afraid to pull the manifold it may have come off a Olds and ported and drilled to fit a Ford.
    This would be a good time to clean out all the sludge in the bilge as well. Or take it out for at least a maiden blast.
    Thanks

mlaines
    you can post a thread in the spam section and ask if anyone has one, cause chances are someone does. or if you want a new one im sure rex marine or jet boat performance carries them.

GAWnCA
    you can post a thread in the spam section and ask if anyone has one, cause chances are someone does. or if you want a new one im sure rex marine or jet boat performance carries them.
    Thanks, I think I want to go new so I'll check those 2 places.

Danhercules
    I just bought one from REX. I know he has em.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast