Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are smaller cat/tunnels more dangerous?

Mountainstone
    I just read the article in ***boat declaring that tunnel boats are family-friendly alternatives to V-bottoms. My wife wants a pontoon for the space, and I want an open bow V for every other reason. A deck boat is the obvious compromise, but we don't want and can't afford a 26-footer. I see there are a couple of builders producing 21-, 23- and 24-foot tunnel decks; do these boats have the same handling characteristics as the larger boats? It seems to my uneducated mind they might be more "twitchy" or apt to throw you out and jump on your head if subjected to unskilled input.
    Is there any other downside to a smaller cat hull, other than less deck space (though still more than a V)?

SurfOnH20
    Get a Tri-toon !! I sold my v-hull and now its all about the family. I am almost forty and sold the sports boat and bought something more practical. Pontoons are everywhere now. Since the purchase I have had nothing but fun and my time on the water is quality..Good luck and don't be afraid to buy as my friend calls it "An olds mans boat".

meaniam
    I just read the article in ***boat declaring that tunnel boats are family-friendly alternatives to V-bottoms. My wife wants a pontoon for the space, and I want an open bow V for every other reason. A deck boat is the obvious compromise, but we don't want and can't afford a 26-footer. I see there are a couple of builders producing 21-, 23- and 24-foot tunnel decks; do these boats have the same handling characteristics as the larger boats? It seems to my uneducated mind they might be more "twitchy" or apt to throw you out and jump on your head if subjected to unskilled input.
    Is there any other downside to a smaller cat hull, other than less deck space (though still more than a V)?
    anything any size can be dangerous. it is not the boats that is unsafe it is the driver operating them unsafe. a good driver will know the boats limits before endangering others.a good driver will make any boat safe. a bad driver will find all the flaws of any design and highlight them.
    lack of experience make seadoo dangerous. and the reason those are so highlighted. is become people don't weigh in and take the time to understand the vessel or the laws.
    so if you drive a smaller cat with sense it is just as safe as any other boat out there. my opinion is the larger the boat the more sense you need. as you cannot turn stop or do anything as well as a smaller boat. this is not a bad thing or a dish on the bigger boat. I'm just saying it takes more skill and experience to operate the bigger boats

Jbb
    I have been driving tunnel boats a long time.....respect what it can do....and what can happen in an instant.......and you will do fine.....I have also been in some very big cats that go much, much faster........bigger boat gives you a feeling of security.....I suspect a false feeling if you get going fast enough....You pays yo money....ya takes yo chances.......
    If I had it to do again......I would go Glastron...

Danhercules
    I got a 21 deck tunnel
    I love it. Handels the water so much better than my 18 "V" southwind.
    I have been to Havasu and was fine, No, was not able to go WOT like the bigs cats, but it was a nice ride rather than getting the crap beat out of us like we did in the 18'
    Tons of room too.

LUVNLIFE
    Only thing unsafe is an operator

HocusPocus
    i bought a tri-toon last year and its been the most family friendly boat i have ever owned. the savings in fuel and insurance alone make it a great way to enjoy the lake.

Tom Brown
    If I had it to do again......I would go Glastron...
    If you want to be really safe, get yourself a 16' Glastron and a Merc 260.

pw_Tony
    If you get a tritoon you have to leave this site, since it's name is ***boat, not "old man boat" lol jk

HocusPocus
    If you get a tritoon you have to leave this site, since it's name is ***boat, not "old man boat" lol jk
    http://www.poster.net/simpsons-the/s...oh-4900579.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast