Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land and Sea Variable Pitch

FingerTight
    I have yet to see these mentioned here.
    Anyone else run these?
    I have one and it is amazing. Out of the hole like no other prop, all the top end of a speed prop, and it dosen't blow out in corners due to the large blades.
    Anyone?

eliminatedsprinter
    My boat definatly needs a new prop. I've wondered if this is a viable option. As I like to wakeboard and ski as well as run fast and I hate the idea of changing props at the lake. My boat has a somewhat dinged up 14 1/2 X 21 aluminum prop that runs out of legs in the low/mid 50s. I'm just hoping to find a prop that will see low 60s and still keep my hole shot for skiing.
    [ July 29, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

You Te
    They are a good idea, so far no one has made one that turns any real rpm.
    You Te

FingerTight
    Eliminated, if you are looking for a good recreational prop that will give you all the low end you need to pull skiers without losing the top speed, this is it.
    Mine spins happily to my engine's redline of 5400, I have no idea what this prop would do on one of those hot rod boats that spins to 8000 RPM.
    On my rig, I can almost keep up with my brother's hot rod SeaDoo from a standstill. And the top end is even on the two. He claims (assuming that speedo is right, lol) that I was running 71MPH with him.

sorry dog
    I have no idea what this prop would do on one of those hot rod boats that spins to 8000 RPM. FORE!
    Land and Sea says this prop is NOT for surfacing applications.

DUCKY
    sorry dog:
    I have no idea what this prop would do on one of those hot rod boats that spins to 8000 RPM. FORE!
    Land and Sea says this prop is NOT for surfacing applications. That's what I was just getting ready to say. The torque shift needs to be fully submerged to work. If you raise up the motor height to surface it, you run the risk of slinging a blade or two, and if it doesn't lose a blade, if will wear out and or break the internal shifting components very quickly.

You Te
    You could try the new Bily Bob Sling blabe prop UH HUH.
    You Te

sorry dog
    Yu Te - you don't have time to be watching movies.
    Get back to work.

You Te
    SD,
    you're right, UH HUH!
    You Te

FastCraft
    I had one of these for years on my barefoot ski boat powered by a Yamaha Pro V 200. These things definetly do what Land & Sea claims, but there are some trade offs. First you have to get them tuned to your boat which means playing with differnt cams inside the prop. No big deal but if you don't have the cams matched for your drive height it just won't shift properly, if at all. Second, they have an inherent vibration that is hard to tune out. The best you can do is make sure each ear is set at the same pitch and live with it. Third, because the hub is aluminum you must use an antiseize compound on your propshaft or be prepared to use a hammer to get it off later.
    As mentioned in the earlier e-mails, there are a couple of ways to break these things short of hitting something. The first time I broke an ear off by surfacing the prop while racing a bass boat. The second time I broke an ear off was after I had just broken in a Hydro Tek stage 3 powerhead. With my 1.87 - 1 gear ratio I found that 6100rpm was probably about the maximum safe speed to turn the prop. Each time I was able to limp in. I tried increasing the pitch but never got any speed increase after about 28"
    That said, you will see a very significant increase in your hole shot. Top speed increases will depend on how well your current prop is matched to your boat (material type, pitch, etc.) In almost no circumstances could I imagine an aluminum or composet prop even coming close.
    In the end, my wife forgot one day to raise the motor and I dragged another ear on the boat ramp as I was pulling the boat. A guy stopped by and recognized the prop right away and wanted to know how I liked it. I told him that it was a fine piece but probably wasn't something I could use with my new powerhead as it just spun the prop too hard. The guy fished out 3 Benjamins and I gave it to him.
    Bottom line, they are very expensive which is why I don't think you see more of them. They work as advertized but if you have high performance equipment they are probably not the best pick for a performance prop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast