I have a 1979 Glastron CV23 w/460 Jet. The boat is 100% stock with about 75 hours on it since new, was in storage for a lot of years. I buy the boat and change out the 12 year old gas, rebuild the Holley 650 Vac second carb. The inside and outside of the carb still looked new, but I still put a kit in it. I took the boat out and it ran great except for strange problem with the idle. When I would take the RPM's up to when the secondary kicked in and then return to and idle the rpm's will stay about 2000. I then removed the throddle cable and the idle stayed the same so it's in the carb. I checked the idle stop screw and it was closed on it's stop. Now here is where it gets strange, if I just turn the motor off and restart with out doing any thing else, it idles normal. It would seem that the secondary butter flies are sticking or some how the vac pull off is still pulling vacuum?
The second problem is I was running back to the ramp at the end of the day and around 3000 rpm and it acted like I was running out of gas, the engine died, I restarted, run a few minutes longer, then did the same thing, so I restarted again then just idled back to the ramp area which took about 30 min. Do you guys think that since the fuel pump is about 30 years old that it's going out or could it be a plugged pickup in the tank. I was thinking that I should replace the mach. pump with an electric one? If I go electric, which pump would be best and how are they wired into the boat? Thanks for any and all help!!!!