Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Holley Carb Problem?

zgoo
    Steve,
    Yes it has a choke, but it's open and doesn't have a fast idle cam for the choke.
    Dan

zgoo
    Some how I'm think it is tied to vacuum. If I pull back from full thoddle and it stays at 2,000 rpm and I do nothing but shut the engine off and trun the key to restart it wil idle at 900rpm. This driving me crazy!!!

Cas
    Dan,
    The reason I asked about the choke is sometimes it can get stuck just enough to speed up the airflow in the primaries which will open the secondaries. Holley vac sec carbs work off venturi vacuum in the primaries and not manifold vacuum.

ol guy
    Hey zgoo, assuming you checked the butter-fly movement for returning back to seat and all is ok. Here is another thought, check the distributor and make sure the advance weights are returning to initial timing. You say after shut down and refire it idles fine. could be enough to alow the timing to come back and allow the motor to retard and be nice. Kind of off the wall but it does happen, ie: 12 degrees at idle 36 degrees at wot if it sticks whats the rpm at idle going to do?

ol guy
    Hey zgoo, assuming you checked the butter-fly movement for returning back to seat and all is ok. Here is another thought, check the distributor and make sure the advance weights are returning to initial timing. You say after shut down and refire it idles fine. could be enough to alow the timing to come back and allow the motor to retard and be nice. Kind of off the wall but it does happen, ie: 12 degrees at idle 36 degrees at wot if it sticks whats the rpm at idle going to do?

zgoo
    Well to day I spoke with the orignal owner of the boat, he purchased the boat new in 1979 and only used it about 10 hours the first two years, then put in his garage. The boat is all orignal so to my ???
    When I pulled the carb the carb mount gasket was about 1/4" thick and all open between the pri and sec areas, is this normal?
    I have not check the timing.

SBC Jetboat
    yes its OK.

zgoo
    I got it figured out,
    I rebent the pri. to sec. rod a little tighter and that fixed the problem, I guess that the motor had great vacuum that it caused the sec. to pull open at an idle. Making the rod shorter worked.
    I just would like to thanks to everyone for all their input on this, I think thats what makes this site so special for the fact that all of you are willing to add your thoughts on a problem..... Thanks Again!!!:idea:
    Dan

cfm
    I've run into this 'high idle until shut down and restart' when using the weaker tension (faster to open) vac sec springs. Off hand, I don't see any issue with making the rod a little shorter (as long as it doesn't bind) as you have done.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast