Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Day

havaduner
    Hey Miguel, no worries, he's doing a great job all by himself. Yet another water educated "HOT BOATER" who exercises their tax payers rights and not the laws of the waterways. I've heard that I too have my head up my ass....it's a wonderful feeling
    Just exactly how do I have my head up my ass?

Havasu Luvr
    I have never understood how people can feel comfortable with just floating down the river while other boats are motoring by. If anything, you are a navigating hazard, as most of the time floating boats tend to be in the middle of the river.
    We may be a navigational hazard but ONLY because YOU failed to slow down to over take another vessel in a safe an orderly fashion. YOU my friend are a Navigational Safety Hazard.

Havasu Luvr
    I'm not much of a floater myself, but I respect people's right to float. I do find it incredible to see some of the places that people will decide to float. I've seen people floating through Rock Island, dead in the middle of the turn in front of Echo where it's extremely narrow and there's boats anchored off the shore, and in front of that super narrow section in front of the enclosed dock at Castle Rock. I can't for the life of me figure it how anybody could consider that safe.
    As you have discribe it, it is NOT safe if there is someone NOT adhiring to the law when overtaking other vessel or the distance/speed to be used from moored vessel. Common courtesy would say slow down when there a vessel in the immediate area....not to curse them out, flip them the bird and tell them to go boat/float somewhere else. Even the speed zone in Elsinore does NOT give a speeding boat the god given right to do any speed..... not a hater, just dont have a fast boat......:sqeyes:

rivercrazy
    Its pretty simple. The boat overtaking another has the responsiblity of passing safely. That means passing wakeboard boats, skiers, tubers, floating boats, canoe's, swimmer, etc safely.
    If that means you need to slow down or wait to pass to do so safely and to comply with BOATING LAW, then accept it and get used to it. Population growth has its disadvantages but that is just the way it is.......
    Just because your boat goes fast, doesn't mean you own the river or have special rights that are above everyone elses.
    Contrary to the belief of some, just because your boat goes over 70, 80, 90, 100 or more doesn't mean your better than anyone else. Typically the irresponsible boater that abuses common sense actually proves the opposite.

havaduner
    We may be a navigational hazard but ONLY because YOU failed to slow down to over take another vessel in a safe an orderly fashion. YOU my friend are a Navigational Safety Hazard.
    Why do YOU keep ASSuming, I didn't/don't slow down?

RiverToysJas
    Why do YOU keep ASSuming, I didn't/don't slow down?
    Logic maybe.....You took a post about someone who was not watching where they were going, and said it was the person floating who was doing something dangerous. Floating can be dangerous when people don't slow and pass safely. Often people who don't slow and pass safely think floaters shouldn't be on the water. Hence - YOU.
    RTJas

Jbb
    It seems odd that Brown hasn't checked in with all this talk of ..."floaters"....

havaduner
    Logic maybe.....You took a post about someone who was not watching where they were going, and said it was the person floating who was doing something dangerous. Floating can be dangerous when people don't slow and pass safely. Often people who don't slow and pass safely think floaters shouldn't be on the water. Hence - YOU.
    RTJas
    Hmm, maybe I worded that first post a little wrong, or people didnt read the first part of my post (god I wish I knew how to post multiple qoutes) My point was and still is, I dont see how people feel comfortable floating with boats of all sizes and speeds going by, in every direction immanginable. I never meant to stay I wanted floaters off the water out of my way. Your comment was that stretch of water was crowded, and getting more so, and I agree 100% that is why I keep stressing common sense and courtesy.
    I do slow down, and try to give others on the water as much space as I safely can.
    A fear I have, is being in a crowded section of river, perhaps following another boat, having a boat floating, maybe another boat headed in the opposite direction on opposite side of the river, and then find out as I pass the floating boat, I now have a Jet Skier who has decided to jump the wake of the boat in front of me, and to make matters worse, I've got a boat behind me that is running faster than me, or other traffic.
    Maybe I have given everyone the wrong impression, but I actually do worry about worse case scenarios like that happening, and I do my best to avoid being in that situation, to the point I've gotten off the water, either hanging on a beach for the day, or putting the boat back on the trailer early.

DeathFlightMedic
    If anyone has any questions about navagation rules here is the link
    http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/navrules.htm.
    When it comes down to it, you can drive as fast as the condisions alow, othewise it is reckless and irrasposable.
    And speaking from experience, at full throttle my boat goes about 40, so getting passed at 70 it down right scary.

RiverToysJas
    Hmm, maybe I worded that first post a little wrong, or people didnt read the first part of my post (god I wish I knew how to post multiple qoutes) My point was and still is, I dont see how people feel comfortable floating with boats of all sizes and speeds going by, in every direction immanginable. I never meant to stay I wanted floaters off the water out of my way. Your comment was that stretch of water was crowded, and getting more so, and I agree 100% that is why I keep stressing common sense and courtesy.
    I do slow down, and try to give others on the water as much space as I safely can.
    A fear I have, is being in a crowded section of river, perhaps following another boat, having a boat floating, maybe another boat headed in the opposite direction on opposite side of the river, and then find out as I pass the floating boat, I now have a Jet Skier who has decided to jump the wake of the boat in front of me, and to make matters worse, I've got a boat behind me that is running faster than me, or other traffic.
    Maybe I have given everyone the wrong impression, but I actually do worry about worse case scenarios like that happening, and I do my best to avoid being in that situation, to the point I've gotten off the water, either hanging on a beach for the day, or putting the boat back on the trailer early.
    Fair enough. The problem with posting words sometimes is tone is missing (smilies can help )......seriously though.....Needles and the river in general is getting more crowded. It was NOT crowded at all that day we almost got hit though.....very few boats went by actually and I watched him coming for a ways, thinking it must be a friend of mine since they were coming right for us. Not that I do not float often though, because I do, we enjoy it. Gotta use common sence though. I wouldn't want to float between the sandbar and havasu at 5pm on a saturday....I wouldn't be comfortable there!
    RTJas

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast