Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid questions

I don't know jack about v-drives.
    I saw a Sanger Pickle and Damn! that thing is bad! Are Pickle's and Shovel's more or less stable at high speeds than a flattie?
    What's the differences (besides looks) between a flattie, a shovel, and a pickle?
    A friend of mine has a older Aquacraft and upon deceleration it wants to turn badly, are all v-drives like that?
    Last, what style of v-drive hull would you recomend for a first time v-drive owner? The boat would be used purely for pleasure purposes with no towing (skieing) involved.
    Thanks!

Ralph Brunt
    trader:devil:
    just buy little ricks

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I don't know jack about v-drives.What's the differences (besides looks) between a flattie, a shovel, and a pickle?
    I saw a Sanger Pickle and Damn! that thing is bad! Are Pickle's and Shovel's more or less stable at high speeds than a flattie?.
    The shovel and the pickel is short for shovel nose or picklefork hydro. They are much different than a flatty as they ride on air. The hydro's (both of them) ride on the front sponsons and half the propeller at speed. Hydroplanes are capable of speeds of well over 200mph whereas the worlds fastest flatbottoms top out in the 170's (so far).
    A friend of mine has a older Aquacraft and upon deceleration it wants to turn badly, are all v-drives like that?
    No, but some feel a little light momentarily upon initial deceleration.
    Last, what style of v-drive hull would you recomend for a first time v-drive owner? The boat would be used purely for pleasure purposes with no towing (skieing) involved.
    Thanks!
    The Drag hydros are the kings of speed but also have the least freeboard and IMO roughest ride. They don't turn well you just aim them. Hydros are not good in rough weekend river water. Early hydros were shovelnosed and later hydros pickleforks.
    Drag flatbottoms are a little better in rougher water and circle flats and ski flats are best in rougher water.
    I would recommend a runnerbottom flat as a first boat. They work well and are easily found at reasonable prices.

The shovel and the pickel is short for shovel nose or picklefork hydro. They are much different than a flatty as they ride on air. The hydro's (both of them) ride on the front sponsons and half the propeller at speed. Hydroplanes are capable of speeds of well over 200mph whereas the worlds fastest flatbottoms top out in the 170's (so far).
    No, but some feel a little light momentarily upon initial deceleration.
    The Drag hydros are the kings of speed but also have the least freeboard and IMO roughest ride. They don't turn well you just aim them. Hydros are not good in rough weekend river water. Early hydros were shovelnosed and later hydros pickleforks.
    Drag flatbottoms are a little better in rougher water and circle flats and ski flats are best in rougher water.
    I would recommend a runnerbottom flat as a first boat. They work well and are easily found at reasonable prices.
    Jerry, wouldn't it behoove you to recommend a Finishline?

just buy little ricks
    It's spelled traitor. Woops... I probably shouldn't know that. LMFAO.
    Thanks v-drive video! Rough water would definately come into play sooner or later. I guess me wanting a pickle or a shovel would be like wanting to haul the family around in a Corvette...

adjones419
    I couldn't agree more.

I should have thought of this one in my reply but...
    What's a runner bottom's bottom look like?
    I've read the term runnerbottom and 5/8 runnerbottom, what's the difference and is there other variations (2/3, 1/2, etc...)?
    Thanks!

adjones419
    This might help you out...
    Flat vs. Runner (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156145)

Thanks to all!

just buy little ricks
    You don't own a v-drive, why are you here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast