Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you CPR certifed, what kind of First Aid do you carry on your boat?

socalmoney
    We got him down and I held C-spine for a good 10 mins till FD showed up. Helped package him up and off he went.
    I have wondered if it would be overkill if I had a half board, duct tape and a no-neck on my boat for C-spine. I figure any collision on the water would warrant it.

Throttle
    plenty of times I have stopped to help a boater or someone on the highway... I generally do try and carry an assortment of supplies to help me treat someone who is injured.
    clue for those of you that do not have cpr training... bystander cpr increases the chances to save a life...:idea:

atomickitn
    well ...not only do I have a full trama bag....but I also carry with me my own personel EMT...... ...but now that she is on active duty in kuwait, I think I may need to be a lil more carefull............ ..... I do know CPR.....I can kiss like nobody else...

Phat Matt
    1. CALL
    Check the victim for unresponsiveness. If there is no response, Call 911 and return to the victim. In most locations the emergency dispatcher can assist you with CPR instructions.
    http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/images/quick1.gif
    2. BLOW
    Tilt the head back and listen for breathing. If not breathing normally, pinch nose and cover the mouth with yours and blow until you see the chest rise. Give 2 breaths. Each breath should take 1 second.
    http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/images/blowani.gif
    3. PUMP
    If the victim is still not breathing normally, coughing or moving, begin chest compressions. Push down on the chest 11/2 to 2 inches 30 times right between the nipples. Pump at the rate of 100/minute, faster than once per second.
    http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr...ndposition.gif
    http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/images/pumpani.gif
    CONTINUE WITH 2 BREATHS AND 30 PUMPS UNTIL HELP ARRIVES
    NOTE: This ratio is the same for one-person & two-person CPR. In two-person CPR the person pumping the chest stops while the other gives mouth-to-mouth breathing.

Throttle
    well ...not only do I have a full trama bag....but I also carry with me my own personel EMT...... ...but now that she is on active duty in kuwait, I think I may need to be a lil more carefull............ ..... I do know CPR.....I can kiss like nobody else...
    I will take your word for it...

atomickitn
    I will take your word for it...
    ok ! Im not sure I would like to practice on you ..........but if you insist....

DeathFlightMedic
    Given that many threads on this board lately are about accidents, injuries, close calls, and death, how many of you are prepared if it happens in front of you. What kind of first aid kits are you carrying on board and do you think it is adequate? Do you know CPR and do you have any kind of CPR mask on board in case you are called to duty. I worked as an EMT for a few years while in collage and I never had a save. I also never relieved an average Joe citizen from the initial CPR that was started before we arrived on scene. There was always lots of people standing around to tell us who needed help though. We won't all be able to rely on off duty Cops and Firemen if the need arises.
    I think you have hit upon a good point here. More often than not it is bystanders who bring the injured to us on the shore.
    If anyone wants a CPR / First Aid class or a refresher I will teach it for free!!!!!!!!!!!! All I need is $3 AHA Card Fee.
    Just let me know. I can put a class on whenever and whereever.
    The more people we can get CPR cretified the better.
    Also if you need recomendations on what to carry in a first aid kit I will send it over.
    ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU WANT TO GET CPR CERTIFIED AND WILL BE IN THE LAKE HAVASU / RIVER AREA LET ME KNOW AND WE CAN GET A CLASS TOGETHER.

DeathFlightMedic
    Given that many threads on this board lately are about accidents, injuries, close calls, and death, how many of you are prepared if it happens in front of you. What kind of first aid kits are you carrying on board and do you think it is adequate? Do you know CPR and do you have any kind of CPR mask on board in case you are called to duty. I worked as an EMT for a few years while in collage and I never had a save. I also never relieved an average Joe citizen from the initial CPR that was started before we arrived on scene. There was always lots of people standing around to tell us who needed help though. We won't all be able to rely on off duty Cops and Firemen if the need arises.
    I think you have hit upon a good point here. More often than not it is bystanders who bring the injured to us on the shore.
    If anyone wants a CPR / First Aid class or a refresher I will teach it for free!!!!!!!!!!!! All I need is $3 AHA Card Fee.
    Just let me know. I can put a class on whenever and whereever.
    The more people we can get CPR cretified the better.
    Also if you need recomendations on what to carry in a first aid kit I will send it over.
    ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU WANT TO GET CPR CERTIFIED AND WILL BE IN THE LAKE HAVASU / RIVER AREA LET ME KNOW AND WE CAN GET A CLASS TOGETHER.

Havasu_Dreamin
    We have a first aid kit that I think we got at Costco, nothing too special. Had it since 2000, does that stuff go bad?
    I remember haivng to make my own first aid kit for the Health and Safety class in HS many moons ago...Perhaps we need a new, better kit for the boat and should get some CPR training...:idea:

socalmoney
    For those of you who "used" to be certified, here is a link to the changes made by the American Heart Assoc. They are significant. You should look at these and consider a refresher. Sounds like DeathFlightMedic is willing to teach.
    http://www.americanheart.org/downloa...Winter2005.pdf

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast