Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are you CPR certifed, what kind of First Aid do you carry on your boat?

Mr. Crusader 83
    I always have plenty of beer. Will that work?

LAFD
    im emt certified and have a kit that has just about everything. splints, c spine, gauze, all assorted sized wraps,cooling packs, heating pacs, masks. pretty much hits alittle of everything. have had to do cpr a couple times very exhausting and nerve racking.

Throttle
    I always have plenty of beer. Will that work?
    only if you are the one that needs help...

HokeySon
    Yes I am certified in first aid and CPR but its been a while.
    I put together my own kit and put it in a extra large fanny pack. It carries the usual cut, bumps, butterfly bandages, antiseptic and pain stuff plus what I call a big wound kit:
    Extra gauze, pads, tape and a big aerosol can of medically sterile water for cleaning out big wounds or severs. We also have some medicine called bleed stop that is supposed to stop excessive bleeding. So far used it for one medium cut and one deep butterfly bandage slice. It goes where we go.
    Also have some benedryl in there too for any allergic reactions ie bees, scorpion etc....
    Used to have a maxipad in my kit -- it is designed for this you know!!!
    Only time I ever pulled it out to use it, my friend wouldn't let me put it on his head. said he would rather bleed to death. Go figure.

eliminatedsprinter
    Just renewed my card last week. Carry a basic kit in the RV and some basic supplies in the "boat bag".

socalmoney
    Used to have a maxipad in my kit -- it is designed for this you know!!!
    Only time I ever pulled it out to use it, my friend wouldn't let me put it on his head. said he would rather bleed to death. Go figure.
    Those sticky wings might come in handy when wrapping a wound. I bet they are a lot less expensive. Only problem is if they don't soak through, you couldn't put another one on top of it. I will have to take a closer look.

DeathFlightMedic
    Basic First Aid Kit
    CPR Pocket Mask
    Stack of Gauze Pads ( 4X4's)
    Roll of Medical or Duct Tape
    Various Size Band-Aids
    1 Ace Bandage
    Pair of large Scicors
    1 Large Zip-Loc bag for parts that became detached.
    Just what you need to stop the bleeding and get to shore, Anything else is usaly overkill.

DeathFlightMedic
    Just remember to check what First-Aid stuff you carry often.
    Nothing worse than needing somthing and have it no tbe there.

rrrr
    We carry one of these. Got it at West Marine.
    http://images.westmarine.com/full/6818488.jpg
    The Marine Series 1000 is designed to provide the medical supplies you need for coastal cruising when professional medical care can be reached within a 12 hour time period. Contains six modules including CPR instruments, fracture/sprain, medications, burns, bleeding and wound care. The floating foam padded case protects items and its abrasion-resistant, textured rubber bottom keeps case from sliding on wet surfaces. It is made of 420 denier nylon with durable, water-resistant coating and a water-resistant zipper to seal out moisture. Its reflective webbing makes kit easy to spot quickly in the dark.
    Intended Use Supplies for a week to 10 days for up to 10 people
    Number of Pieces: 330
    Case Size/Material: 15" x 10" x 5.5"/420 denier nylon with durable, water-resistant coating
    Contents Organization Method: Modular waterproof re-sealable bags
    I also carry containers of sterile irrigating solution, betadine, suture packs, and lots of 4" X 4" sterile pads and sterile wraps for something big.
    Two years ago I was first responder to a night boat collision, 36' Baja vs. 21' bowrider. The bowrider driver had a broken femur and ribs, the passenger had the same plus an open fracture arm and multiple scalp lacerations to the bone. He went through the windshield.
    A friend towed the boat to shore while I worked on the passenger's injuries and stabilized his c-spine. It took EMS about 15 minutes to get there. Not really critical in this particular case, but 15 minutes can mean the difference between life and death if someone doesn't know what to do.
    If you hang at the lake or the dunes the chances are someone will need immediate care. Learn what to do, you could save a life.
    What other safety gear is in your boat? We carry a throw rope bag, much better than a Type IV cushion. If you miss the first toss, you can haul it in and do it again.
    http://images.westmarine.com/full/008_242_003_503.jpg
    I spent less than $500 on this stuff......well worth it IMO.
    I also carry a smaller kit in my truck.

DeathFlightMedic
    Just remember the best thing you can have on your boat is a SOBER DRIVER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast