Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are you CPR certifed, what kind of First Aid do you carry on your boat?

gqchris
    I have wondered if it would be overkill if I had a half board, duct tape and a no-neck on my boat for C-spine. I figure any collision on the water would warrant it.
    I dont think it would be overkill at all Socal. I wish I had gloves and a collar would have helped alot when he started trying to thrash around. Next time I will have a small kit ready on my boat.
    As LAFD said, if I had to do CPR for that long, I would have been spent. It was so hot out there, I was so whipped after it was all said and done. Definately a good idea to be prepared. Its amazing though how many people freeze up when the shat hits the fan. People were freaking out all over. And it was not even a super critical injury. Just alot of lacerations and MINOR bleeding. If anyone is ever on the scene and wants to help out in any way they can, crowd control is a blessing. I had all kinds of people hovering over me and women being hystercial. Keeping them back and giving the patient and care givers air helps a ton.

talkinghead
    Depending on who I am with and where I am (remote areas) - I also carry and AED with me.
    I picked one up refurbed for <$500.

DeathFlightMedic
    An AED is a great thing to have if you can aford it, and they are getting cheeper every day.
    A backboard and C-coller are good to have too, but only if you are trained to use it and are prepared to handel the liability later. Just keep in mind the good smaritan law only covers what a lay person would be able to do in that situation, once you get into backboards and other advanced ( although basic ) procedures you are opening yourself up for legal troubble.
    Please don't take what I'm saying the wrong way, if you want to help great, just keep it in mind.

socalmoney
    An AED is a great thing to have if you can aford it, and they are getting cheeper every day.
    A backboard and C-coller are good to have too, but only if you are trained to use it and are prepared to handel the liability later. Just keep in mind the good smaritan law only covers what a lay person would be able to do in that situation, once you get into backboards and other advanced ( although basic ) procedures you are opening yourself up for legal troubble.
    Please don't take what I'm saying the wrong way, if you want to help great, just keep it in mind.
    Good point.

oilfieldtrash
    the company i work for provides use with CPR class on an annual basis they are mandatory. and the first aid kit is like one that an EMT would care also from work we get one a year for our field trucks so i always keep the one that i am replacing.

gqchris
    Depending on who I am with and where I am (remote areas) - I also carry and AED with me.
    I picked one up refurbed for <$500.
    Thats awesome. Soon I hope to see those like fire extinguishers placed everywhere!

Mardonzi
    I'm certified National Registry EMT and formerly Utah EMT,, never changed over to AZ,, Might have to do that one of these days,,
    Anyways,, I carry a full Thomas pack on the boat to include airways, 2 sizes of collars, a couple of stick kits and 2 bags. The nice thing about Lake Powell is the response time here if you need it. Between the time you put the call out till they are spooling a helo,, it's about 5 minutes..
    For the average person, a good first responder kit will do well and you can always augment it with other stuff you have in the boat. T shirts and towels make great bandages. Knee boards do well as short boards as well as wake boards.

phebus
    Retired firefighter/paramedic. I carry a trauma bag that is stocked to the max.

Trailer Park Casanova
    We carry sterile bandages, stethoscope, pillows, asthma meds.
    Wife's first aid kit is very well equipped and is she ever qualified to use it.
    I have all the CPR and first aid credentials the LAFD offers. And Lifesaving too.
    From bloody collisions on Rice rd, to boating accidents to propeller gashes, to stepped on a broken bottle,,, it's nice to have items along to get the person dialed in and somewhat comfortable until help arrives or we can get them to help.
    We've seen our fair share.
    ABC:
    Airway
    Bleeding
    Circulation is all you can really do on location.
    -Unless ya wanna invest in a shocker/paddle unit.
    Some are one time use,, but still pricey and perhaps a bit much for the first aid kit.

LUVNLIFE
    I'm cpr certified along with first aid. We carry a store bought but pretty well stocked first aid kit. Also not only do we carry cell phones but a hand held vhf radio as well. Every little bit helps in an emergency

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast