Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Are you CPR certifed, what kind of First Aid do you carry on your boat?

Throttle
    My certs a few years old, I always carry a 1st aid kit in the truck and boat.
    My 1st aid kit for the truck also includes ace bandages, arm/ leg splint, duck tape( which is my band aid of choice) super glue and stuff to handle minor amputations ( fingers and the like) You just never know whats going to happen on the job site, I've seen some bad stuff happen.( most of which were thier fualt, removing safety devices/gaurds)
    that right there scares me, I hope anyone that needs your 1st aid kit really calls for professional help.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    that right there scares me, I hope anyone that needs your 1st aid kit really calls for professional help.
    Maybe you were being sarcastic, it's hard to tell online, but from what I understand, SuperGlue was developed by the military for wound closures. I think that's a good thing to have.
    edit: I looked it up and found similar info on several sites
    According to Wiki (not a super reliable source, but based on many sources, I'll accept it)
    The use of cyanoacrylate glues in medicine was considered fairly early on. Eastman Kodak and Ethicon began studying whether the glues could be used to hold human tissue together after surgery. In 1964, Eastman submitted an application to use cyanoacrylate glues to seal wounds to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Soon afterward Dr. Harry Coover's glue did find use in Vietnam—reportedly in 1966, cyanoacrylates were tested on-site by a specially trained surgical team, with impressive results. In an interview with Dr. Coover by the Kingsport Times-News, Coover said that the compound demonstrated an excellent capacity to stop bleeding, and during the Vietnam War, he developed disposable cyanoacrylate sprays for use in the battlefield.
    “ If somebody had a chest wound or open wound that was bleeding, the biggest problem they had was stopping the bleeding so they could get the patient back to the hospital. And the consequence was—many of them bled to death. So the medics used the spray, stopped the bleeding, and were able to get the wounded back to the base hospital. And many, many lives were saved. ”
    —Dr. Harry Coover
    The original Eastman formula was not FDA approved for medical use, however, because of a tendency to cause skin irritation and to generate heat. In 1998 the FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for use in closing wounds and surgical incisions. Closure Medical have developed medical cyanoacrylates such as Dermabond, Soothe-N-Seal and Band-Aid Liquid Adhesive Bandage.

Throttle
    it scares me to think he's got it and uses it...

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    LOL Maybe he just sniffs it

Throttle
    LOL Maybe he just sniffs it

DeathFlightMedic
    Superglue is the bomb!!!! blisters, cuts, rear view mirrors. They actully use it in er's but it's called dermabond. It is good to have and it will hold a maxipad like nothin else!

YeLLowBoaT
    They use "super glue" ( cyanoacrylates) to close every thing from small cuts( think butterfly bandage) to large incisions from major and minor surgeries.
    I use it mainly for closing up things like razor blade/ sheet metal cuts, stings like a bitch, but you don't have to worry about using butterfly bandages or it getting packed with crap from a days work.
    I'm shocked you have not heard of them using it for wounds... Its extremely common theses days. more so for children so they don't have to worry about stitches, its also used alot for closing the skin from surgerys.
    Edit,
    My 1st EXP with super glue was back in my Coastie days. You can be back to work in a 10 mins from a deep cut, where stitches your going to be out for atleast a hour.

blackcloud75
    Retired firefighter/paramedic. I carry a trauma bag that is stocked to the max.
    Yeah you do......the silver band-aid has revived me a few times.......

Dan Lorenze
    Am out of certification. We have a pretty good first aid kit on the boat.
    Ditto.

TCN
    ABC:
    Airway
    Bleeding
    Circulation is all you can really do on location.
    In correct order:
    ABC:
    Always
    Bare the
    Chest
    We have a pretty good first aid/trauma kit in out boat. Helping others is awesome but don't forget to protect yourself first. Universal precautions is often over looked in the public arena and all it takes is 1 exposure and your life can be altered FOREVER. CPR masks are a great tool but if there is responsible family with any victim, coach them to do the ventilations and you do the compressions. Always wear gloves and eye protection to protect yourself.
    I have been doing this job for over a decade and wear the best PPE when I do it. What I have seen and encountered at work makes me afraid of what could happen without personal protective equipment. Be safe while helping others. Nick

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast