Thread: RPM HELP

liberator21
    I HAVE A 83 2.4 MERC. I SPUN THE HUB AND REPLACED THE GEAR HOUSING,BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT THE RAITO IS. IT TURNED 6400 BEFORE NOW IT TURNS 7200. IS THAT TOO MUCH FOR A 2.4. WHAT IS WOT FOR A 2.4. COULD A CHANGE IN THE RATIO MAKE IT TURN THAT HIGH

snappertapper
    IM NOT SURE WHAT THE WOT IS BUT YOU WOULD HAVE A HIGHER GEAR RATIO NOW OR A SMALLER PROP TO CHANGE THAT MUCH BUT I DONT THINK IT WILL HURT MUCH

liberator21
    hey snap wot is wide open throtle

737jetmech
    I'am not sure about the 2.4 .My 2.5 has a 7800 rpm rev limiter built in the ecu. It will run 7200 wide open with current 26 pitch prop.

HavasuDreamin'
    WOT RPM's vary for the 2.4 blocks depending on year, original intent for the motor, etc. I run a 2.4 Merc Bridgeport at about 7400 Rpm, however mine is a 1990 block that was rebuilt in '96 with strong internals. Whether or not your motor can turn 7200 Rpm's and last is a function of how strong the motor is???? Is your motor one of the high performance Mod-VP racing motors or something like a production 225? If it was a Mod-VP motor, my guess is that it will last in the 7000 RPM range. If not, I would say go back to around 6500. I am not positive on those numbers though, just an educated guess. Post what type of motor you have, hopefully mmtech will join in and point you in the right direction. Good Luck!

liberator21
    hey hav. it's a 83 model. did a leak down last week it's about 12% with 123-125 cranking comp. stock heads, talked to roe yale he said cut heads 80. that should get about 145-150 cranking comp. thanks for info. new at this game!

HavasuDreamin'
    Don't forget to bump your jets when putting on tighter heads. Not sure how much to bump them up, ask around! Good Luck!