Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New cam break in

cave
    I drove to Bartlett lake today to break in the new cam. Nice day to be out there. Its a Clay Smith Jet boat grind . Before the motor would just go flat @ 3900. I could get it to 4200 but its wasn't a jet boat cam.
    I got yelled at after a 10 minutes of running the engine at 2500 rpms on the trailer. Crybaby jet skiers. Heck they were on the other side of the cove. This is my first time breaking in a cam in a boat. The end result was music to my ears. Just a tiny bit of a lope. I'm Happy. Everything looked good under the Intake.
    Check it out if you have time
    new cam break in (http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...breakinmpg.flv)

junkyardhunter
    I am running a claysmith 306 solid, what grind do u have & how well does it run.

cave
    H-280-8-BHL
    Not a radical cam. Just the right cam for a jet boat. I would of liked to get the H 300 but I just wanted a better a working cam for the boat. As soon as I tapped the throttle I felt the difference. The motor responds quicker too. I added timing gears rather than the chain. I could barley hear the gears. New hydraulic lifters from Clay Smith. The springs were fine for this grind.

junkyardhunter
    sounds like u got the right one.

H-280-8-BHL
    Not a radical cam. Just the right cam for a jet boat. I would of liked to get the H 300 but I just wanted a better a working cam for the boat. As soon as I tapped the throttle I felt the difference. The motor responds quicker too. I added timing gears rather than the chain. I could barley hear the gears. New hydraulic lifters from Clay Smith. The springs were fine for this grind.
    I've been running the H-300 for the past three years (going on the fourth season). Been real happy with it. Clay Smith makes a nice cam.

cave
    Dan I can see why you fellas like Bartlett. Other than the pissed off jet skiers Its a cool place to not only to boat on but kick it on the beaches. If you get there early enough. I was at up at the flats. Nice day too.
    I think I'm going to like this set up. Maybe this coming winter I'll do the heads and bump up to the 300. Your boat sounds and works great. Still remember that ride without a chicken grip.lol. Yeeeee HAwwww

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Im glad that it worked out for you jimmy. I also have a clay smith(304 solid) grind and I love it! If you notice the time I am just finishing up a 19hr day with 3hrs of sleep I would have told the jetskiers to kiss my ass. They dont own the lake. I am surprised to see that many people out there on a weekday..

TJS
    That is cool. I know what you mean about people complaining.
    Here is how I broke my cam in. I built a run in stand that has a complete closed cooling system. It will run small blocks and big blocks. I did however have the cops at my house because of the neighbors called the cops. Good thing I broke the cam in before the cops came. They just told me to keep it shut down. Here are some pics.
    T.J.
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/bbcbuild14.jpg
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/bbcbuild15.jpg
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/bbcbuild16.jpg

cave
    I know you've been busy Mike. Let me know if you and the crew are rolling to Saguaro Sunday. Your motor sounds pretty stout.
    TJS, thats nice! My neighbors are pretty cool but I think they would ban together if I did this here at home. I start the quads to keep the carbs from gumming up. My neighbor to the south is a retired NFL football player and they all party till 4am so we have a good trade off.

TJS
    Cave,
    The funny thing about my neighbors who I think called is that I plow their driveway when it snows (yes in the Northeast). So no more favors. Also they have college age kids that have parties in the Summer till wee hours too and I never complained.
    T.J.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast