Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery Question for certified Marine Mechanic

Tom Brown
    Brown has decided not to answer your question, as he thinks it's silly ....and non relevent....
    That's a quality effort, right there. lmao!
    Since I know when my ass is kicked....
    Ahsumtoy, make sure the tenders are making good connections directly to the batteries and not switched power. Also, check the connections for corrosion as this will cause resistance.
    From there, check your battery voltage and make sure it goes up a tiny bit when the tenders are plugged-in. If the voltage doesn't go up a tiny bit with the tenders connected, re-check your connections and make sure you're connecting directly to each battery. If everything is OK, you might look for a fuse in the battery tender. The easiest thing would be to check the voltage across the output of the tender when it's disconnected from it's battery.

Dave C
    Marine Battery... LOL... thats almost as funny as a "marine" car-boat motor. LMAO!!:devil:
    the question should be. what battery is best for my stereo

brianthomas
    This point is impossible to prove one way or another, but let me be the first to state I doubt Optima tools up to build 40 different skus.
    I have not owned Optimas but I seem to remember they are absorbed glass mat batterys, completely different animal.

brianthomas
    Which isolator works if they are on "both"?
    They will try to equalize each other. You will have the same amount of charge stored, it will just be distributed over two batteries instead of one.
    Isolators keep a fully charged battery from discharging into a discharged battery when they re connected in parallel or the switch is set to "both."
    I'm never positive if I am doing it right on my boat but I have two group 31s in parallel for each the starboard and port motors. These systems are completely separate just in case one engine or battery bank has a malfunction. I do have a switch on the dash that activates a solonoid to parallel the starboard and port sides if one side is too low to start the engine. You start the engine that will start and then hold the button in and start the engine that has low batterys. Works great.
    I also have a group 24 cranking battery that is hooked to nothing but the generator. That way the gen. will always start and I can flip on the onboard charger that is connected to the engine batterys and provides 40 amps.
    A sixth battery is an 8D like you would see in a medium duty truck to start a diesel. This is a 165 lb. battery and it is connected to a 3,000 watt inverter so the whole boat has AC 115 volt power. The inverter is also a charger just for the 8D at a rate of 125 amps. There is a intuitive control panel for this inverter and battery to monitor all of the functions and capacities. This 8D battery is actually an absorbed glass mat or AGM but the dimensions and weight are the same with a lead/acid battery. Oh, the inverter will run things like the microwave, tvs and fans but not the air conditioner.
    I'm not an expert, this is just what I have had the best luck with and I have owned many boats. Just happens the boat I have now is pretty big.

Havasu Hangin'
    Isolators keep a fully charged battery from discharging into a discharged battery when they re connected in parallel or the switch is set to "both."
    I'm never positive if I am doing it right on my boat but I have two group 31s in parallel for each the starboard and port motors. These systems are completely separate just in case one engine or battery bank has a malfunction. I do have a switch on the dash that activates a solonoid to parallel the starboard and port sides if one side is too low to start the engine. You start the engine that will start and then hold the button in and start the engine that has low batterys. Works great.
    There are really two types of isolators- diode and solenoid.
    Diode Isolators use diodes on the charging system to isolate the alternator charge without tieing the batteries together through the charging wire. When you put any battery switch on "both"...it negates the diodes.
    Solenoid isolators actually phisically interupt the circuit. However, once again, if you switch the batteries to "both", it will negate the isolator...
    ...unless Tom Brown wired it.
    I also have the parallel solenoid you are talking about. All that does is tie the batteries in parallel for a few seconds so you can start your engines. You could accomplish the same thing by running back and switching the Perko switch to "both".

Classic Daycruiser
    Being an electrical engineer, I could answer you question, but IM not a certified marine mechanic!!!
    Thank you

Classic Daycruiser
    You can tell your source that he don't know sh*t. I put one on the botton about 10 years ago Sat afternoon and brought it back up Sunday morning and the bilge pumps were still working and the biggest damage came from the battery grounding itself to the metal of the engine. Everypiece of polished aluminum had to be repolished from the electrolosys. The bats were optina blue tops/1000cca. I still use one of them in the boat.
    Rio
    I did say "un" reliable. I still have not found a certified mechanic that can give me the correct answer.
    Do you think this is a trade secert?

Classic Daycruiser
    When all else fails...bring backup:idea:
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1187126561

HOOTER SLED-
    They will try to equalize each other. You will have the same amount of charge stored, it will just be distributed over two batteries instead of one.
    That's what I meant.

brianthomas
    That's what I meant.
    Exactly. Many people will run on battery number one and once they anchor out will switch to battery number two for the stereo. Hours later they switch back to battery one to start the boat and leave. With an in line isolator they could then go to both without the fear of battery number one being drained by battery number two while running back to the marina. An isolator is just a one way valve so the alternator can quickly charge up the starting battery that will likely take only a very few minutes and then charge battery two with all of it's available amperage. This happens while not tearing down battery one. You can manage it just using the switch but it is all automtic this way, convenience is all it is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast