Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sideboards in the Riviera

Rattle Can Lou
    I like to show some of the progress so that amatuers don't feel so intimidated to try some of this on your own. This process is fairly simple and straightforward. First off it seems you would need 10' long plywood to do this, and you do. But you can go to a good cabinet shop and have them fingerjoint the wood for you to get your 10'. It cost me 150.00 for the plywood and that was all put together and the wood has a nice grain to it. It is also a very solid core with no voids. You cannot see the joint and it is strong. The battons on the bottom of the boat were not there. We made those and dowel pinned them in place and mixed up some dura glass and set them to the bottom. You trim the dura lgass with a knife as it is curing. I have the sideboards stting on the stands and I am putting two coats of resin on both sides. I am going to use a glue called EZ 100 and I'm gong to bond the sideboard to the upper and lower batton in the boat. I will use 9/16 ths staples to go through the 1/4 in plywood into the batton and I will let that dry good. I will finish it tomorrow I hope and I will take you through the finish.
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...g?t=1187111415
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...g?t=1187111498
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...g?t=1187111537
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...g?t=1187111582
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...g?t=1187111629

fc-pilot
    Lou, this should be a nice little "How To" thread as long as others don't side track it. Thanks for taking the time to post it up. I am looking forward on seeing how you do all of this.
    I saw you Saturday at Long Beach but did not stop to talk seeing that you were busy talking with some other people and I did not want to be rude and interrupt. I was hoping to run into you later, but I never saw you again. Oh well, maybe next time.
    Paul

lilrick
    You are one sexy biatch! And, your work is good too!!

lilrick
    Lou, this should be a nice little "How To" thread as long as others don't side track it. Thanks for taking the time to post it up. I am looking forward on seeing how you do all of this.
    Paul
    oops ....

You are one sexy biatch! And, your work is good too!!
    Thanks for jacking this "Do it your self thread"... Not all of us have a "Full on sponsored Race Boat" so we have to do these things ourselves... Carry on Mr. Lou, we need the help...
    Steve

Rattle Can Lou
    If you want the full Monty on this I will start from the begining. Cutting out the old ones should be done with a side cut off wheel. This gets there nice and close and leaves the least amount of clean up. Next step is to grind out all the old glass and get back to a nice clean surface to glass to again. Next step I took was get a plumb bob and hang it from the top gunnel rail to the floor. I hope this makes sense. I want the side board to be perpendicular to the upper rail. Mark the floor about every 4" so that when you lay the bottom rail in there it fits the top really well. These boats have rocker in the bottom so you won't be able to just lay a piece down there and have it fit. You will have to start grinding on the lower piece to give it a custom fit. I started with a piece that was 1" thick by about 2.5" tall. This is all done by grinding and fitting. This took me one night to accomplish both bottom rails. This is when I dowel pin fit them. I drilled down through the top of the rail with a 3/8ths drill bit. I went to Home Depot and bought dowel pins. I then set the bottom rail in on my line and marked my holes and drilled down about 3/4' into the bottom of the boat. I pushed the dowel pins into my rails and then mixed the dura glass up and spread it on the bottom of the rails and installed them. After the glass starts to cure you take a sharp knife and cut the excess off.
    Make sure you keep the old sideboards as patterns for the new ones. It will really help the process go faster. We are in the process of putting two coats of resin on both sides of the sideboards and hopefully we can place them in the morning....RCL

LeE ss13
    In every B-Boat I have owned, I noticed that the upper part of the side board had staples in it. Is that to leave it a little flexible? If the top and bottom were glassed in more solid, does that run the risk of blowing out the gunwale, (gunnel), when the bottom flexes? Just curious.

Rattle Can Lou
    That's a great question. I don't know the answer. I am going to use the glue I talked about on the top and glass one strip along the bottom. I'm gonna use cloth and not mat. The glue will hold as well as the glass I would think. I would think that the staples are easier than glassing. But I would also think that they would expect the staples to hold their position and not move around. There are guys on here that are alot sharper than I am about this stuff. This would be a great place for Morg to chime in...he redid all this in his boat....

V-DRV
    MORG??????ANYONE??????

dmontzsta
    RCL is a wood working stud!:devil:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast