Thread: New to me 175 OMC fuel problems

gotboostedvr6
    I have a 85 VRO 175 Crossflow on my Proline W/A.
    The first time i started it the thermostats were both clogged so i removed them. I have replacements on the way. Temp problem fixed.
    Next problem was it just idled like **** and had no power. I then pulled the carbs and did a through cleaning.
    Stared it again ran alot better idled fair-good with a lioght sneeze every 10 sec or so. The bowls stayed full of fuel.
    i took the boat out and got it on plane it ran like a raped ape for 10 sec or so then started dieing... I checked the primer bulb and it was still hard.
    i took the boat out again and cleaned the carbs again.
    I dipped the boat in the water but left it on the trailer so i could do some load testing. It would only make it to 3400 rpms or so 15-20 sec before it fell on its face and shut off. I checked the primer bulb and it took 4-7 pumps before the bowls were full again.
    So I'm now thinking the vro/ fuel pump is bad but its intermittent because this doesn't happen every time.
    Sometimes when it starts dieing on plane, 25 mph 4k rpm, I can push in the key choke and the motor will bring itself back to life.
    All signs show fuel starvation.
    Another thing to note Im using a brand new run of the mill 6 gal portable fuel tank and new 5/8" omc fuel line could this be the issue? Maybe the fuel port on the tank is too small and is a choke point.

gotboostedvr6
    i need this worked out by friday night so i posted this on a few forums

Faceaz
    I've got the same problem on an old Merc 150. Cleaned the carbs & checked pressure @ the fuel pump (on the engine) & everything is fine. Same fuel tanks that it's always had, even tried it without the fuel tank caps on & it still does the same thing. The only thing I can think of, but haven't tried is delapidated fuel lines. Maybe after so many years, the fuel is starting to breakdown the inside lining of the hoses & that's creating a restriction. I haven't tried it, but it might be the source. Good luck!

RitcheyRch
    Are you getting any warning buzzers? Usually you will get a warning buzzer if the VRO is going out.

gotboostedvr6
    no buzzer because its removed

gotboostedvr6
    Didnt get much done today. i was able to swap the vro pump for another. I'll run it tomorrow.

gotboostedvr6
    So far I've rebuilt the carbs, replaced the vro pump Found a bad coil and replaced it ..... so far it seems that the fuel problems fixed, motor runs like champ but only for about 2 min till it starts to slow down.... fuel bulb stays firm.
    I think i might have a bad power pack what do you all think?
    It slows down for 12 -13 sec than picks back up idles fine

gotboostedvr6
    good link thanks!!!