Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallet that I am looking to purchase, need some insight to this brand

tucson_boat_guy
    Hello all,
    I am a fellow jet boater but since the family is a bit bigger I need a biger boat. I had a BBC in a 19' with a dominator that was tons of fun.
    I found a Hallet(one of my favorite mfg's) on the internet
    It is a 1987 20.5 open bow, with a 454 and berkley. not sure of the berkley model yet I asked them to look.
    My main question is if there are know issues with the fiberglass of these years and how heavy is this boat. I have an email into Hallet but this guy wants to sell this soon so I need to speed up the investigation. I dont want a heavy jet, that just makes for a gas hog and doesn't go anywhere.
    The engine is stock which i am not worried about I have built many big blocks and I know the berkley is a good pump. I know there are a few things I can do to make it better like an intake and droop snoop if needed.
    Anyway any info would be good. Maybe if someone actually had oe of these and could tell me how much fuel this thing used. With gas being so damn high I have to consider this these days.
    I will try and put the pics I have up so you all know what boat I am talking about.
    Thanks

76 Bonneville
    I have one of their brochures from the mid 80's. Here are the specs., centerline length 20'8" beam 93" freeboard 20 1/2" and total wt 3150. That seams heavy to me, but then again it is a Hallett. My 20' Advantage only weighes in at 2300. It is a smaller boat but 850 lbs. smaller WOW

455Rocket
    Hallett is by far one of the best built hulls you can buy. The boat you're looking at is very, very similar to my Carrera, and prob. still weighs more! You won't find a stronger hull in this category, but it also means you sacrafice performance. Pump work like snoots etc... won't do this boat a damn thing, unless you're turning over 500 HP. Even then it'd be a waste... still in the late 60 MPH range. You can be sure it will ride like dream, and handle exceptionally well.
    Fuel consumption is fair... if you're familar with the river here's what I did on 24 gallons of gas last Friday with stock Hardin 454:
    From Avi 1/2 way to Needles
    From Avi to davis dam and back (very little float time)
    Lots of all-out rooster tail runs in front of the Avi. (Also for some carb tuning )
    Not sure of the mileage there, perhaps someone else can chime in with an estimate. Not bad regardless
    99% sure that's a Berk JG

tucson_boat_guy
    thanks guys for the replies.
    where on the river is Avi??
    I know Needle's, where 66 crosses and where i think it's 40 crosses and laughlin, and topock gorge where the sand bar is but i dont know Avi.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8744&rd=1&rd=1
    This is the boat I am talking about. I hope this is not a steal and someone swipes it up, just making sure I dont get a slug, ya know.
    My last jet did around the high 70's low 80's and rode like a flat. I want a jet to play on the rivers again but still be able to handle the chop of havasu on a big weekend.
    thanks again i will note the details from the brochure.

Devilman

HalletDave
    Here ya go. Nice lookin boat, I agree with 455Rocket, looks like a JG pump to me....
    http://i9.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/aa/de/122e_12.JPG
    http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/aa/de/13a4_12.JPG
    http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/aa/de/17fd_12.JPG
    Nice boat, buy it.

455Rocket
    $10K would be a good deal.
    Go look at it, drive it, and do a compression check first.

455Rocket
    thanks guys for the replies.
    where on the river is Avi??
    I know Needle's, where 66 crosses and where i think it's 40 crosses and laughlin, and topock gorge where the sand bar is but i dont know Avi.
    Avi is half way between Laughlin and Needles.
    Needles is near the 40... actually on the 95. Don't know where the 66 comes in, but I'm sure it does
    Laughlin is where Lake Mohave ends
    Guess you can get a map out and look for the mileage

buy it ...

MADDOG355
    I would have to agree on the Buy It!!
    My 74 Howard 19' is also a VERY heavy hull, not a bowrider but still heavy. I don't think you will be dissapointed at all. It will take more power but the ride will most likely be alot better that what you are used to. My Howard will eat chop that will scare you to death in my buddies 18' Mantra. On the same note He has a SBC in the Mantra (Very light hull) with about 300 hp while I am running a stock (came from a 76 Delta 88) 455 Olds 250hp at best. And can stay right with him all day long. The only thing I can figure is mine has a good bottom. I am willing to bet the Hallet will suprise you for a heaver boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast