Thread: What to do with manual pump if electric is used?

78TaylorSS460
    If I choose to go with an electric pump, what do I do with the manual pump? Do I leave it attached to the block or is there a block off plate i need? Also, is that the filter attached to the fuel pump on a 460 BBF? Does it just screw off? What is the price of the manual pump? If it's too much I might just go with an electric. Thanks
    Eric

Slacker
    If I choose to go with an electric pump, what do I do with the manual pump? Do I leave it attached to the block or is there a block off plate i need? Also, is that the filter attached to the fuel pump on a 460 BBF? Does it just screw off? What is the price of the manual pump? If it's too much I might just go with an electric. Thanks
    Eric
    You take the manual off and get a block off plate. The filter i am not sure what you are saying with out a pic.The maual will be cheaper than an electric. Average price for a manual around 50-100 where is eletric is over a 100 but all depends on brand,where you purchased etc...

BrendellaJet
    Save it for when the electric leaves you stranded on the water. You'll wish you never took it off.

speedymopars
    Make sure you have some cut off switch with the electric, and don't put it in the engine compartment if enclosed.
    You can make some really good HP with a mech pump, so unless you have a real need for that extra 1 HP you may get from removing the pump, think about it. There are a lot of safety issues that you need to be aware of and plan for. Not insurmountable, just plan for it.
    What to do with the pump:
    A) Leave it attached to the motor for a just in case
    B) Take it off, you will need a block off plate. Don't forget to remove the fuel pump pushrod.
    For the fuel filter - leave it attached to the pump. Run another filter to the carb, you are going to have to replumb anyway, so a filter could connect the two hoses that would have gone to the inlet and outlet of the mech pump.
    Just my .02

Don't look too hard for that fuel pump pushrod on a 460

Devilman
    Eric
    The answers have been posted already, but what would be the reason for going with an electric pump? Lotsa good-running boats around with manual pumps on 'em. When I bought my boat, it came with a Holley Blue electric pump on it. The previous owner hacked the arm off the manual pump with a torch & bolted it back on to cover the hole, lol.... I'm going back with a manual pump when this Holley craps out.
    lol

IMPATIENT 1
    you can get a chevy fuel pump block off plate and bolt it onto the bbf to block off the hole when you pull the pump off. the flanges on chevy sbc/bbc and the bbf are the same design, therefore the chevy plates work, they sell that at every parts store.
    the fuel pump doesn't have a pushrod like chebby's the pump arm rides the cam. holley blue fuel pump kits work great, i've used many of them and never had 1 fail.

78TaylorSS460
    The answers have been posted already, but what would be the reason for going with an electric pump? Lotsa good-running boats around with manual pumps on 'em. When I bought my boat, it came with a Holley Blue electric pump on it. The previous owner hacked the arm off the manual pump with a torch & bolted it back on to cover the hole, lol.... I'm going back with a manual pump when this Holley craps out.
    lol
    I'm not going to with an electric. I was just curious. The manual is cheaper anyhow. Also, Devilman, you say you go out to Somerville a lot right? Is anyone gonna be out there this Saturday? I was gonna head out there if so and BS with everyone and look at the boats. I'll have to use the Glastron right now as my boat is still getting worked on. Thanks guys

speedymopars
    I can admit I'm an idiot sometimes when it gets to the details on the fords.... Engines are all the same, in thier different ways...
    Doh!