Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: future bann of outboards....

TOBTEK
    posted this also in ***boat...looking for info on the future regulations in concern with E.P.A If I flop down a ton-a-dough for a new boat with a 2-stroke EFI outboard....will they be outlawed in a few yrs or will thet be "GRANDFATHERD"....info please......

snappertapper
    to the best of my knowledge if yuo own a 2 stroke you will be able to run it but they will not be sold for much longer

HavasuDreamin'
    I haven't read anything that indicates that old 2-strokes will be completely banned. IMHO, I believe that certain lakes (tahoe for example) will ban all two strokes, but that is extreme. I believe you will get into something similar to the old cars.....meaning if it is old enough, you don't have to go through smog certification....with the boats..you won't be banned. If it is a newer motor, don't be bolting on high perf stuff and making it more of a pollutant. If it were me, and depending on my starting problem......... I may be looking for a different motor next year. One of the things I am going to check into is emissions and which motors meet the 2007 emissions, etc. I would think that you will be fine with pro max type motors for a long time. These new motors are so computer driven that you really shouldn't have a problem on most lakes.
    To make a long story short, I find it hard to believe that the Environmental people could have a law passed banning 2007 emission motors in say 2010, 2015, etc.

TOBTEK
    H/D......I'm looking at a mach22 with a 1998 2.5efi do you want it for your boat? I really want a new 300-X. I only want to switch for the oil inject and more torque. Just a thought, this boat might be more interesting if i had a home for the motor!!!

TOBTEK
    Went by DCB on Tues, They said there isnt really to worry about as long as you have a newer EFI or DIRECT EFI motor/motors. Still scary thinking of spending this kind of money with the EPA freaks out there!

gigamurph
    Hey there TOBTEK! Being an owner of a dinosaur Merc (1980 90HP in-line 6), I too am concerned with the regs regarding these motors. I wish I had some answers for ya but like you said, with the EPA freaks out there, even if ya did know what the regs are now, they'd change tomorrow! I don't think that they will be able to completely ban 2-stroke O/Bs from the waterways (there are more of them out there than people like to admit, especially in the midwest), but I do foresee "them" making it as difficult as possible for us; ie: higher fees for launching, higher registration fees, taxes, or whatever other means "they" have or can make at their disposal. Only time will tell and I'm sure that we will all be unhappy as h**l when it's all done and said! frown

TOBTEK
    gigamurph:
    Hey there TOBTEK! Being an owner of a dinosaur Merc (1980 90HP in-line 6), I too am concerned with the regs regarding these motors. I wish I had some answers for ya but like you said, with the EPA freaks out there, even if ya did know what the regs are now, they'd change tomorrow! I don't think that they will be able to completely ban 2-stroke O/Bs from the waterways (there are more of them out there than people like to admit, especially in the midwest), but I do foresee "them" making it as difficult as possible for us; ie: higher fees for launching, higher registration fees, taxes, or whatever other means "they" have or can make at their disposal. Only time will tell and I'm sure that we will all be unhappy as h**l when it's all done and said! I agree 100% with you, I dont know how in the world they can outlaw/bann a previously sold outboard from being used. Butt, we arent in charge they are....big bummer
    I'm just hoping that if I get a newer motor I wont have a big issue..

gigamurph
    Talked to Pro Shops out of San Dimas at the LA Boat Show in March and the guy quoted me a new 115 w/ control box, rigged, and out the door for $8000. Just don't have the cash right now and the guy at the local boat shop says HE can't even get one for that! Life sux; then you go boatin'! Oh well! maybe next year.

HavasuDreamin'
    Sorry Tobtek.........if I go to a newer motor, it is going to be "new" and I am going for a short shaft which the Mach 22 probably does not have. Good Luck, and remember..........be patient and get the boat you want!

TOBTEK
    HavasuDreamin':
    Sorry Tobtek.........if I go to a newer motor, it is going to be "new" and I am going for a short shaft which the Mach 22 probably does not have. Good Luck, and remember..........be patient and get the boat you want!H/D...Have you priced out a new motor? I just got a price on a new 300-x (21,000) without brackets or rigging. Was also told a new 2.5 is somewhere around 15-16,000 seems unreal that they are that expensive..its crazy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast