Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ran Out of Fuel

uLtRADeNniS
    I ran out of fuel in my 2006 Powerstroke earlier.
    I heard it is very bad to run a diesel out of fuel.
    It was a bittch to fire back up.. I had to take off both fuel filters and fill them full of gas. It idled really sloppy for the 1st minute or so...now its running fine(I assume).
    Is there anything I should watch for or am I ok?

djunkie
    I wouldn't say its bad, its just a pain to get the system primed. The diesels of today are a lot more forgiving in this department. But it may not be a good idea to fill the filter full of gas. I am assuming you meant diesel fuel?

uLtRADeNniS
    Yes I meant fuel

SnoC653
    you didn't need to take the filters off and fill them to prime them. They would have filled up on thier own from the pump. On older diesels it was required to prime the injectors when you ran them out of fuel. On modern diesels they are self bleeding and prime themselves. While the diesel fuel does help lubricate the injector pump, running for a few seconds with no fuel in it does't hurt it. Biggest concern would be picking up trash from the bottom of the tank in your filters.

ultra27jay
    I ran out of fuel in my 2006 Powerstroke earlier.
    I heard it is very bad to run a diesel out of fuel.
    It was a bittch to fire back up.. I had to take off both fuel filters and fill them full of gas. It idled really sloppy for the 1st minute or so...now its running fine(I assume).
    Is there anything I should watch for or am I ok?
    Is there anything I should watch for or am I ok? ..........the fuel guage!!

riverbound
    On the pickup trucks, running them out of fuel is no problem. Our frieghtliner was recently ran out fo fuel and although you have to manually prime the system, it did cause some damage to one of the pumps and we had to have it replaced.
    I ran my Old f350 out of gas once (the O/h display said I had 30 miles to empty) It did the same thing you described. and I drove it another 160k miles with never a problem.

Pussywhippled
    I've run out of fuel in my duramax 3 times in the last couple of months.
    I don't know if it's because I'm an idiot or because I'm an idiot...

Cycle the key several times allowing the fuel pump to run for the 20 seconds or so till it shuts down. This fills the filter area full of fuel, and anything prior to the fuel return, in the system.

rrrr
    I was watching the gauge.. The gas light just turned on...then a 1/4 mile I ran out. I always get another 40-50 miles before I run out. I think the heat has something to do with the sending unit (expanding vapors)??.
    Must have been that Flying J heated fuel.

Jerrys59
    Cycle the key several times allowing the fuel pump to run for the 20 seconds or so till it shuts down. This fills the filter area full of fuel, and anything prior to the fuel return, in the system.
    Will this work on a 99 dodge diesel too?
    i want to do my own fuel filter changes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast