Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring from Scratch

GAWnCA
    greg we are on the same page I am wiring next week, let me know how it turns out
    Well, first thing I need to do is figure out what is going to what from the engine area to up under the dash. The I've got to figure out how to clean up the engine compartment wiring. I've got wires with wire nuts on them that don't connect to anything and wires that just hang out in mid air. Not to mention the spices that could become shorted out should water get over 3 inches deep.
    I just added to the mess by taking the bilge pump (not connected to anything) and added a float switch to that. You can't always keep an eye on the water level that gets into that area of the boat. This way I shouldn't have to worry about drowning the engine electrical.
    SO!!! Let's all take lots of pictures!!

Yup, I did mine from scratch and used the schematic Cas posted for a guide. Eventually modified the schematic to allow for my MSD box and other assorted goodies. I'll look and see if I can find it electronically.
    One other thing I did was to run external grounds from all electrical components on the engine (i.e. short ground from the alternator to the block, short ground from the starter to the block, ect...) that way I hope to always have the best possible ground.
    Good luck

GAWnCA
    Yup, I did mine from scratch and used the schematic Cas posted for a guide. Eventually modified the schematic to allow for my MSD box and other assorted goodies. I'll look and see if I can find it electronically.
    One other thing I did was to run external grounds from all electrical components on the engine (i.e. short ground from the alternator to the block, short ground from the starter to the block, ect...) that way I hope to always have the best possible ground.
    Good luck
    Lots of good advice here. The hard part is going to be me working under the dash. I've got 4 compressed disks in my lower back and 3 in my neck.
    I printed Cas' schematic so I can follow it. I was going to call Tom at Jet Boat Performance today but time is getting away from me. Maybe I can do that in the morning.

SHAWNINATOR
    Im a dumb harley mechanic and was thinking about doing the same to my boat this winter. I have a couple questions...Why is the ammeter a fire hazard? And I see alot of boats using butt connectors. Wouldnt it be alot stronger to solder every connection? Just a couple rookie questions for the jet boat gurus.

GAWnCA
    Im a dumb harley mechanic and was thinking about doing the same to my boat this winter. I have a couple questions...Why is the ammeter a fire hazard? And I see alot of boats using butt connectors. Wouldnt it be alot stronger to solder every connection? Just a couple rookie questions for the jet boat gurus.
    Seems to me that what you suggest would be a better idea, then to top that off, put some heat shrink tubing at those joints and just for kicks inject some silicon and shrink away. Good joint and should be water tight.

Konabud
    I highly recommend the heat shrink connectors also, I started using them in salt water applications and just kept using them on the Kona when I cleaned up the wiring. The sealant forms a fantastic mechanical bond, I dont think you could pull them off if you wanted to. You can get them on Ebay pretty reasonable, well worth the extra. Good luck, It'll be fun.

GAWnCA
    I highly recommend the heat shrink connectors also, I started using them in salt water applications and just kept using them on the Kona when I cleaned up the wiring. The sealant forms a fantastic mechanical bond, I dont think you could pull them off if you wanted to. You can get them on Ebay pretty reasonable, well worth the extra. Good luck, It'll be fun.
    Wouldn't good quality heat shrink tubing work just as well? The tubing I have when heated glues itself to the wire shielding and you have to strip back behind the tubing.

Greg check your PM's Tom

GAWnCA
    Greg check your PM's Tom
    Just did and answered.

suckin&pumpin
    here are all the before pics i could find there are 2 pages
    http://www.msnusers.com/martinoboat/wiring.msnw?Page=1

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast