Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DCB MACH 22 PROMAX OR 300X????

ZSARGO
    I JUST SOLD MY 2.5 MERC OFF MY 98 MACH 22. I WAS PLANNING ON GETTING A 300X PUT ON IT. IT WILL RUN ABOUT $18,00O INSTALLED. MOST OF THE POSTS I HAVE SEEN TELL A STORY OF AROUND 88 MPH WITH THE OLD 300 PROMAX. THE BOAT RAN 84 WITH THE 300 PRO MAX IN HOT BOAT. THEY SAY IT WILL DO BETWEEN 92-95MPH WITH THE 300X. I CAN PICK UP A USED 300 PROMAX FOR ABOUT $11,000. NOT SURE IF I WANT TO SPEND THE EXTRA $7000 ON THE 300X UNLESS I SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE. I KNOW THE 300X REVS ABOUT 600 RPM HIGHER THAN THE PROMAX. ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THE MACH22 WITH EITHER MOTORS?? I'M SURE MANY WITH THE PROMAX AND FEW WITH THE 300X. SINCE I ALREADY KNOW TOBTEK WILL RESPOND TO THIS POST. WHAT IS DAVE TELLING YOU YOUR NEW BOAT WILL DO TOP END.

TOBTEK
    LES.....your to funny From what I have been told by Dave from DCB and many, many people the two motors are worlds different and you can not compare the two! I have gone back and forth on new and finding a used mach, but with everything I keep hearing I want to get the 300x! Not for the extra power ( dont need a 100mph boat, mid 80's is fast enough for me!)altough the extra bottom end tourqe would be nice.
    all but one of the five 22's which ive inquired about with promax 300's have had the lower end rebuilt....hmmmmm why? they all have the "new" shafts. I have been told they are much more reliable in every way, better fuel economy,better reed life with the new carbon fiber reeds, better charging system, ect,ect....Now Les, please keep in mind this is what ive been told by SALESPEOPLE. I think you will be happy with either 300 you put on the back! But if your going to spend some big dough, spend the extra and get the latest and greatest....my .02
    BTW.....yes DCB is saying mid 90's on the new 03 with 300x. I wish they were putting jackplates on these like the new cougar's are....
    [ September 18, 2002, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: TOBTEK ]

ZSARGO
    THE 300 PRO MAX I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING IS BOATMASTER'S BUDDIES. HE WILL GIVE ME A GREAT DEAL ON A LOWER UNIT WITH THE THICKER PROP SHAFT. I CAN GET INTO THE MOTOR CHEAP. BUT 90 SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER THAN 80.

Skaterfast
    Be careful and do a little more investigating.I think the diference in horsepower is 15 or 20 HP between the 300 and 300x.There is no way that is going to get you 5 more mph.Even if it does rev higher you need the power to get the mph and for 5 more mph you would need more than 50hp.

ZSARGO
    I THINK IT'S THE TORQUE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO MOTORS. THE 300X ALSO PUT OUT 326 HORSEPOWER AT AROUND 4500 RPM. MAXING OUT AT 329 AT 6000 RPM. EVERYBODY IS REALLY GIVING ALOT OF PRAISE TO THE NEW 300X. LOU AT LAKELAND MARINE SAID THEY ARE SEEING ABOUT 9 MILES AN HOUR FASTER BETWEEN THE PROMAX AND THE NEW X. 7G FOR 9 MILES PER HOUR. THEY SAY THAT IN THE BOATING WORLD YOU GET 1 MPH PER THOUSAND SPENT. RUMOR HAS IT!!!!! SEE THE 25 DAYTONA THAT WENT 144 IN POWERBOAT. YOU GUESSED IT. PRICE TAG $144,000.

WaltersCamp
    Every single Mach22 I have ever seen has a 300x, except me. You don't want to be sitting on the sandbar wishing you had more HP. Go big!
    That's my $0.000000000002

HavasuDreamin'
    Skaterfast:
    Be careful and do a little more investigating.I think the diference in horsepower is 15 or 20 HP between the 300 and 300x.There is no way that is going to get you 5 more mph.Even if it does rev higher you need the power to get the mph and for 5 more mph you would need more than 50hp.According to HavasuBarney and others, there is about a 50hp difference........something like 280pshp vs. 330pshp. I have heard the electronics on the 300X are far superior to the electronics on the previous 300 pro max. If it were me, I would most likely go for the 300x. Good Luck

TOBTEK
    ZSARGO:
    THE 300 PRO MAX I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING IS BOATMASTER'S BUDDIES. HE WILL GIVE ME A GREAT DEAL ON A LOWER UNIT WITH THE THICKER PROP SHAFT. I CAN GET INTO THE MOTOR CHEAP. BUT 90 SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER THAN 80.So, the 300promax is a used motor? Now you have to consider if the used 300 has a problem its your baby because you dont have a warranty. I was looking at a boat with a 300P-max, had some hours on it. DCB said when the top end went it was going to cost between 5-7K to rebuild it! IF the worst happend to you, you wouldnt be saving any money. and you would still have the old motor. Id go for the new one with the full warranty! Its just money, you can always make more....and im sure you would be more happy knowing you have the best available...

ZSARGO
    TIME TO TAKE THE CHANGE JUG DOWN TO COINSTAR. FORUM SAYS...... 300X. AT LEAST I KNOW I WILL BE NECK AND NECK WITH TOBTEK. HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH ANYWAYS? MIGHT HAVE TO LOSE A FEW FOUNDS OR MAYBE EMPLOYEE A JOCKEY TO TAKE YA. WHEN WILL YOUR 22 BE READY?

HavasuDreamin'
    TOBTEK:
    ZSARGO:
    THE 300 PRO MAX I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING IS BOATMASTER'S BUDDIES. HE WILL GIVE ME A GREAT DEAL ON A LOWER UNIT WITH THE THICKER PROP SHAFT. I CAN GET INTO THE MOTOR CHEAP. BUT 90 SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER THAN 80.So, the 300promax is a used motor? Now you have to consider if the used 300 has a problem its your baby because you dont have a warranty. I was looking at a boat with a 300P-max, had some hours on it. DCB said when the top end went it was going to cost between 5-7K to rebuild it! IF the worst happend to you, you wouldnt be saving any money. and you would still have the old motor. Id go for the new one with the full warranty! Its just money, you can always make more....and im sure you would be more happy knowing you have the best available...Very good advice..............

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast