Thread: What A score!!!!

watergun4u
    I pick up tonight a deal of a life time! I found this guy who was getting out of racing car's, and was selling everything, he was having a garage sale, and he had a 454 block fresh from the machine shop, a set of I belive they are call hypertech piston's with a slight dome to them, new set of rod's, new cam & lifter's 544 lift, new push rod's, new timing chain & gears with timing adjustment on gear set, Steel crank, and bearing's Head's 781's I belive they are, but going to use those, I have some better one's, I also got the flywheel,Oilpump, Hi vol, hi flow, and he even threw in the engine stand which is also brand new, also a brand new set of rollor rocker's & a new set of push rods!!!!!! was showed the recepits of what he paid for all parts and it was around 4300, I got it all for $1000 dollars, what you think?
    I'll post pics of it all soon!!

victorfb
    i think you got a good deal. some will come on here and say the hyper pistons arent for marine application, but dont let that bother you. there are good hyper pistons out there. yes forged pistons are best for high HP motors, but the hypers are much stronger than cast and think of all the people out there still running cast pistons. in a moderate engine they are just fine. oh and the 781s are a decent head, dont discount those at all, especially with bigger valves installed.

RCB19
    Sounds like you got a nice deal. If your planning on using it in your boat just make sure that the clearances are set up for a "Cold Block". If the guy was into cars chances are that those parts were machined for that application. Could spell disaster in a boat???

scooooter7
    Need a builder? Call my buddy, he's very reasonable.

ck7684
    I'm runnin hyper pistons in mine. Just make sure that the rings are gapped properly and that the clearances on the block are for marine application. May need some final machining to bring it into spec.
    Anyway, sounds like a hell of a deal!!

Desert68
    A few questions from a boat newbie regarding 'cold block' clearances. What would typical clearances be for a BBC for rods/mains and ball park for forged pistons? Are different ring sets required? Are ring end-gaps different? Different hone finish in the bores? Common sense would seem to point towards tighter clearances, but that may be all wrong. TIA

ck7684
    The thing with marine engines is that they are usually cooled with water from the lake/river/ocean, so it's always cold, but your pistons heat up as usual and therefore expand more than the block does, which requires more clearance. Hypereutectic require a larger ring end gap anyways, + the additional gap for the cold block/hot piston reasons.

fatboy95
    I pick up tonight a deal of a life time! I found this guy who was getting out of racing car's, and was selling everything, he was having a garage sale, and he had a 454 block fresh from the machine shop, a set of I belive they are call hypertech piston's with a slight dome to them, new set of rod's, new cam & lifter's 544 lift, new push rod's, new timing chain & gears with timing adjustment on gear set, Steel crank, and bearing's Head's 781's I belive they are, but going to use those, I have some better one's, I also got the flywheel,Oilpump, Hi vol, hi flow, and he even threw in the engine stand which is also brand new, also a brand new set of rollor rocker's & a new set of push rods!!!!!! was showed the recepits of what he paid for all parts and it was around 4300, I got it all for $1000 dollars, what you think?
    I'll post pics of it all soon!!
    I met that guy the other day. he offered all that to me for $1500, almost bit until I noticed a crack in the block next to the number 3 cylinder.
    Just kidding Good job,

Classic Daycruiser
    I met that guy the other day. he offered all that to me for $1500, almost bit until I noticed a crack in the block next to the number 3 cylinder.
    Just kidding Good job,
    lol

watergun4u
    Well hope to be back in the water , in about 3 weeks ,give or take, thing's are going very well, I have a great engine builder, and I know that there will no problem's,
    The motor I pick up will be going to the machine shop to get checked for clearence's to be sure I will be good to go for a boat motor, I no the a motor that is set up for a car, has closer clearence's so, that being checked,and when that's done, if all is good, its al about assembelying it, and then installing it in the boat, then it all about, hitting the lake and making the best of what water is left, and the little bit of summer tht's left, but I know that I will be goo to go for the next season, Oh and yes I am aware of the ring's needed to be at the right gap as well, some hopefully there will be no major problem's or changes that need to be made, but either way I got a outstanding deal on all these parts, !!!!!!!! hope to see you all at the lake soon!!! will try to post pick's of the build, to all that is interested!