Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cole Nighthawk vs Superhawk (Cole Experts?)

fatboy95
    Since were throwing up some pics, here's my 20.5 Cole
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...40DSC01384.JPG
    Motor prior to completion
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...40DSC00737.JPG
    Who built that engine? Any Dyno numbers on it?

brianwhiteboy
    That is super clean for a 91, what's under the hatch?
    just a plain ol' Hardin Marine 454.........not nearly as nice as that other one! :2purples:

Marty Gras
    The 22' "Hawks" do have the 3/4" problem. (the skiiers are a different boat) Now I'll let you discover another thing you don't know, (and it's right in front of your faces) about the boats pictured. Back in the late 70's I purchased a used mold (built in Ontario Cal) I changed the bottom, bigger strakes and a "one degree delta pad bottom". I had the mold at a glass shop in Burbank Cal. Many people used that same glass shop, as it was well known. I wanted to build a fast family V-drive boat and had a winner with my 20' 6" 'Express cruiser'. We built and sold quite a few, turn key and as kits for the popular "B&M blower smallblock as built by PAW Autoparts". We were busy thru 82/83/84, and then didn't sell any in 1985. "Cole Trickle" please measure your hull at the side back at the transom. The chine, to the 'fold' and then to the molding (cap rail). Please report your findings! Your boat was one of the first Coles of that design, and was in fact a "demo boat" for Cole. The first one like your's is a silver and red/maroon outboard, and is still in service. Now Mr Brianwhiteboy and Mr Fatboy95, please measure your hulls at the side close to the transom. My 20'6" boat is the shorter version and has a flatter fore-deck, the "new and improved 20" SS" is the taller (2 1/2") with a slightly rounded fore-deck. I don't know (???) where Cole got his first few (lower profile style) hulls??? But I do know that he built his own molds for the "new improved design"! (so did HiTech) Cole printed a brochure that had Mr Cole Trickle's boat in it along with some of the new taller design hulls without any reference to the changes. At this point, a Cole is a Cole, and the VIN# gives it it's dollar value. When I was 2 miles from Cole, it wasn't far enough. Today I'm 350 miles from Cole and it's still not far enough. I know a lot of great people worked for Cole and built the boats you now have. Many of them are doing their own thing (boat shops) and some have just faded away. The boats were well built, and should hold good values for a long time. No builder offers the "perfect boat", some come close.

P-Money
    Who built that engine? Any Dyno numbers on it?
    Thats a garage special... Buddy of mine put it together, 496, 990 heads, 750 holleys, 8-71, etc... Been a super reliable motor.
    No dyno numbers, but it will spin an Aggressor A to 6400rpm.

fatboy95
    The 22' "Hawks" do have the 3/4" problem. (the skiiers are a different boat) Now I'll let you discover another thing you don't know, (and it's right in front of your faces) about the boats pictured. Back in the late 70's I purchased a used mold (built in Ontario Cal) I changed the bottom, bigger strakes and a "one degree delta pad bottom". I had the mold at a glass shop in Burbank Cal. Many people used that same glass shop, as it was well known. I wanted to build a fast family V-drive boat and had a winner with my 20' 6" 'Express cruiser'. We built and sold quite a few, turn key and as kits for the popular "B&M blower smallblock as built by PAW Autoparts". We were busy thru 82/83/84, and then didn't sell any in 1985. "Cole Trickle" please measure your hull at the side back at the transom. The chine, to the 'fold' and then to the molding (cap rail). Please report your findings! Your boat was one of the first Coles of that design, and was in fact a "demo boat" for Cole. The first one like your's is a silver and red/maroon outboard, and is still in service. Now Mr Brianwhiteboy and Mr Fatboy95, please measure your hulls at the side close to the transom. My 20'6" boat is the shorter version and has a flatter fore-deck, the "new and improved 20" SS" is the taller (2 1/2") with a slightly rounded fore-deck. I don't know (???) where Cole got his first few (lower profile style) hulls??? But I do know that he built his own molds for the "new improved design"! (so did HiTech) Cole printed a brochure that had Mr Cole Trickle's boat in it along with some of the new taller design hulls without any reference to the changes. At this point, a Cole is a Cole, and the VIN# gives it it's dollar value. When I was 2 miles from Cole, it wasn't far enough. Today I'm 350 miles from Cole and it's still not far enough. I know a lot of great people worked for Cole and built the boats you now have. Many of them are doing their own thing (boat shops) and some have just faded away. The boats were well built, and should hold good values for a long time. No builder offers the "perfect boat", some come close.
    Hey Marty,
    My son has his eye on a 98 Nighthawk. I gather from your experience should he be looking for a 20.5 SS? He's hooked on Coles and I can't argue with him. Educate me on the VIN and dollar value. Thanks.

eliminatedsprinter
    here's my 91' 20.5 Super Sport Cole.....
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/DSC01921.jpg
    I smacked my head when I saw your post. The 20.05 was the SS. I guess the only one he called the "skier" was the 22.4.

Marty Gras
    When you smacked your head. Cole's first "skiier" is the same as Cliff Lott's Caliber 1 skiier, maybe the same "untamed" mold. Yes, the 20' SS is the boat we are talking about. There was a "1" and a new improved "Cole 20'05" SS II" boat. The orange boat has quite a bit more angle, roll in, tuck, to it's side around the steering wheel area, VS what the other boats pictured have in the same area. From the molding down to the chine these boats pictured, are different, because they are from different molds. "fatboy" look at NADA .com for values, but remember the 20'has a wide pad and more V, the 22' has less V in it's bottom. (and the other problems) The 22' has cockpit room and the 20' doesn't. It's up to you as to what you want. Speed or seating.

Cole91
    here's my 91' 20.5 Super Sport Cole.....
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/DSC01921.jpg
    That there is one BAD A$$ cole, hows she running? I'll tell you I just about shed a couple of tears when I saw this

RiverDave
    Some guy was on here saying that those 22 hulls were off by 3/4 inch from keel to strake. What's up with that????
    I dunno.. I can say that there's some fast as shit Coles out there.. Just look at J540's boat, as well as the Rushin Roulette boat for sale in the spam section. Both those clip well over 100 mph?
    Maybe Mary Gras can tell us, which boat is the Rushin Roulette boat? Which is J540's, is there a difference between the 2? Is this the boat with the supposedly crooked bottom? etc.. I.E. Fill us in on all the details. I read his 1st two posts on the subject but they seemed kinda "vague" in their descriptions?
    RD

RiverDave
    Some guy was on here saying that those 22 hulls were off by 3/4 inch from keel to strake. What's up with that????
    I dunno.. I can say that there's some fast as shit Coles out there.. Just look at J540's boat, as well as the Rushin Roulette boat for sale in the spam section. Both those clip well over 100 mph?
    Maybe Mary Gras can tell us, which boat is the Rushin Roulette boat? Which is J540's, is there a difference between the 2? Is this the boat with the supposedly crooked bottom? etc.. I.E. Fill us in on all the details. I read his 1st two posts on the subject but they seemed kinda "vague" in their descriptions?
    RD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast