Thread: what do we use to glue Transom plate to transom?

kcsteck
    I cleaned up (striped and repainted)Transom plate (took of boat) that says Berkely and wanted to know what do we use to glue to boat so dont leak water etc. I also purchased and mounted headers and need those plates to block off thru transom exhaust holes.Where do I get those plates and I asume I suse same glue or silcone. Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Casey

robk
    I cleaned up (striped and repainted)Transom plate (took of boat) that says Berkely and wanted to know what do we use to glue to boat so dont leak water etc. I also purchased and mounted headers and need those plates to block off thru transom exhaust holes.Where do I get those plates and I asume I suse same glue or silcone. Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Casey
    I have a set of red anodized aluminum transom exhaust hole block-off plates. PM me if you're interested.
    Rob

wright27
    Elmers wood glue works great. J/K I am doing mine tonight and I was going to use water proof silicone. I would like to know also.

Squirtin Thunder
    Use the standard transom adapter gasket and very little if any silly cone. I put a small amount of 3M 5200 on the transom adapter and place transom adapter gasket and then a small thin coat of K&N sealing grease on the transom. This way it is easy to remove the adapter for impeller changes or any other service.
    Good Luck
    Jim

Cas
    there was a thread on here from a couple of weeks ago with some varying opinions. Here's the link to it Sealing Transom Adapter (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...highlight=5200)
    personally, I just use a real thin coat of black marine silicone from Boatlife. Black only because the pump is black as is the boat.

jh4rt
    This stuff is awesome!

El Prosecutor
    I recently did mine and after making sure the surfaces were smooth and clean I used a light coat of waterproof grease on both sides of the transom adapter gasket. Where the bowl sticks through the adapter I used color matched silicone. I also shot a drop of silicone into each of the screw holes in the transom in hopes of protecting the wood from water that might find its way down the screw hole. I am happy to report that it has been tested and had no leaks.
    I am only a "Google expert", but think I made the right decisions for the following reasons:
    1) Removing a transom adapter that has been siliconed is not only difficult but can result in pry/scrape/fit of anger damage to the hull. If the surfaces are smooth and clean and the gasket is good it doesn't need silicone for a good seal.
    2) The matching silicone around the bowl looks good, seals good, and is very easy to cut with a snap-blade razor knife if it needs to be removed (UNLIKE silicone sandwiched under a transom adapter, which is almost impossible to break loose).
    3) :idea: If the transom adapter ends up leaking in the future I can still run a neat bead of silicone around the outside edge, but after my experience removing the previous owners sillycone job :skull: I will NEVER put silicone between the adapter and the transom/gasket.
    My 2c - worked good for me.

h2oboy
    has anyone ever had any problems with water coming through the bolts under power??