Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry sump v drive oil pans???

bondsman
    Don't get me started on billet fabrication pans!

Flat Magic
    I have a wiliams on one of my motors 951-245-7144 ask for mickey
    moroso also is good.

VDRIVERACING
    Billet Fabrication in Spokane extracts more horsepower out of an engine with a better design. They are in Spokane Washington 509-568-0428 www.billetfab.com
    I've read a sh%t load about this, and the prevailing opinion seems to be that HP gains, if any, are a welcome byproduct. These systems are all about superior oil supply for extremely demanding conditions, i.e., race motors.
    I see them on a lot of boats, and they blow engines like the rest. The concept makes total sense, but have not been able to rationalize the (considereable) investment. I also wonder if all the extra pumps and hardware if overall reliability improves... For that kind of money, there needs to be some serious evidence a particular setup needs it..

steelcomp
    I've read a sh%t load about this, and the prevailing opinion seems to be that HP gains, if any, are a welcome byproduct. These systems are all about superior oil supply for extremely demanding conditions, i.e., race motors.
    I see them on a lot of boats, and they blow engines like the rest. The concept makes total sense, but have not been able to rationalize the (considereable) investment. I also wonder if all the extra pumps and hardware if overall reliability improves... For that kind of money, there needs to be some serious evidence a particular setup needs it..I think if there's any hp to be gained, (and there definately is) Stefs is going to have the edge. The'yre on the leading edge of the technology, and doing continuous R&D on their products in some of the highest eschalons of racing. There are some seriously effective wet sump systems today, and combined with a good vac. system, there's probably not a lot more power to be found by switching to dry sump, but there is some. Ultimately I think the dry sump gives you much more control over your oil system, and much more assuredness that you're going to have oil when you need it, and where you need it. It can eliminate huge clearance issues with engine installations as well. Besides, what's cooler than a dry sump system if you can afford it?

PGF500
    The HP gains with dry sump systems are from being able to get the oil off the crank. You can actually do a fairly good job with a good external wet sump system, deep pan, relocated starter and a large kick out. On one of my engines and a couple that Just Jettin has had the pan nearly touched engine rails. In my opinion to save a few bucks and a TON of dead weight in the boat I'd go with a wet sump system. I'd almost bet you'd see more from the weight savings with a good external wet sump system than with the 15 to 20 hp gain in a full blast dry sump system.

At Stef's we build each pan per customers application. If you are after a 5 stage pan then you may want to consider a divider pan. The pan is sectioned off into 4 compartments. This system is the OPTIMAL in oil control.
    We can supply a complete system less hose and fittings. Power gains will vary but 30HP average over the powerband is not unheard of over a normal wet sump system.

superdave013
    At Stef's we build each pan per customers application. If you are after a 5 stage pan then you may want to consider a divider pan. The pan is sectioned off into 4 compartments. This system is the OPTIMAL in oil control.
    We can supply a complete system less hose and fittings. Power gains will vary but 30HP average over the powerband is not unheard of over a normal wet sump system.
    Hey Chris, what if anything do you do different for the v drive boats with the engine mounted backwards? I got my hands on one of your offshore drysump pans. Thing is a monster and the kick out and screen looks great. Would this pan be ok to use in a v drive set up? Seems like it would but hey, might as well ask.

Dave,
    Pickup placement may change by an 1" or so but not much difference. Your fine to run that on a V-drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12