Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Sceen TV's....way too much info???

Not So Fast
    With the football season coming up and after watching the Chargers game Saturday nite (in Hi Def)I thought about getting a large screen Hi Def TV cause it just looks so damn good. Our old (6 years, Toshiba TheaterVeiw 50") still has a good picture and no trouble at all, but the picture doesnt compare to my sons 60" Samsung DLP Hi Def.
    So I'm sitting hear trying to get educated and reading reveiws and such and it's pretty over whelming, way too much info for an old Operating Eng. like me!! There are so many things out now Hi Def rear projection, Hi def rear projection with micros processors, DLP, LCD, Plama, Lcos????? The the pros and cons of each, burn in, motion blur, black screen rating, view angles,rainbow effect, short bulb life, 720 vs 1080, color wheels etc, Jesus it's confusing or at least to me. Technolgy is great but I'm really lost as to what direction to head to so here goes, ANY BODY HERE REALLY HAVE A GOOD INFORMED OPINION?? Thanks, NSF

JB in so cal
    I love my Samsung DLP.

Danhercules
    I got the 60 Samsung DLP. Get it. Awsome TV.
    You liked your sons, so you should have no problems with it.

Mandelon
    ANY BODY HERE REALLY HAVE A GOOD INFORMED OPINION?? Thanks, NSF
    LOL, yeah right. Regular opinions......no doubt. Informed opinions.... hahahhahahaaa

Trailer Park Casanova
    SONY at COSTCO.

Stoneman
    I did tons of research before buying. I went with a Plasma because of the viewing angle and sizes. The best one at the time, have two now, was and still is Panasonic. I have a 42" EDTV and a 50" HDTV. Both are awesome and everyone that sees the 50" can't believe how good it looks.
    My neighbor just got a Visio (not sure if that is the correct name) from costco and says mine looks a hell of a lot better than his.
    One of the tools I used was a web site called plasmatvbuyingguide.com
    My TV is rated to 60K hours of viewing before the cells loose brightness. And my 42" is about four years old and still looks great and it's only EDTV.
    Good Luck.

Cigalert
    If the room you are using is light and bright don't go with any kind of projection/DLP type....it gets washed out.
    The side viewing angles on plasma televisions are sweet. Panasonic makes what I believe to be the best plasma. It's considered a "commercial" plasma where the border is smaller around the outside of the TV and it has improved cooling over their standard version. They run about $600-1000 more per unit but money well spent for long term use. Kick around www.avsforum.com for some good info. Those HD guru's kicked down some great info for my HTPC. They know their ish.

djunkie
    LOL, yeah right. Regular opinions......no doubt. Informed opinions.... hahahhahahaaa
    Ya really. Hes gonna get about 50 different opinions on this. So heres mine.
    I looked at Plasmas and LCD's. IMO opinon the high end plasmas had the best picture but seemed a little dark. And to be honest they were wayy too much money. Considering how fast new tv's come out nowadays I ended up with a cheaper brand LCD. Its a Vizio 47". So far we've had it a year and it has been great. Since our family room is bright Ifeel the LCD works better for our application. IMO it has just as good of a picture as my friends Sony LCD. He was even shocked at it. Especially since it cost around half of his Sony. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Not So Fast
    Yeah, I guess thats a contradiction of words HUH But I do like to hear all pros and cons. I am just starting to shop but hate the "buy my TV salesman crap" hence I thought some good info could be had on here. I like the prices and pictures of DLP but am a little afraid of "bulb life and availability" because its not uncommon for our TV to be on for many hours. Also like the LCD's, plasma's are a little pricey I will be buying a long term insurance plan also no matter hwich way we go!! Keep the info coming, Thanks

OSidePat
    With the football season coming up and after watching the Chargers game Saturday nite (in Hi Def)I thought about getting a large screen Hi Def TV cause it just looks so damn good. Our old (6 years, Toshiba TheaterVeiw 50") still has a good picture and no trouble at all, but the picture doesnt compare to my sons 60" Samsung DLP Hi Def.
    So I'm sitting hear trying to get educated and reading reveiws and such and it's pretty over whelming, way too much info for an old Operating Eng. like me!! There are so many things out now Hi Def rear projection, Hi def rear projection with micros processors, DLP, LCD, Plama, Lcos????? The the pros and cons of each, burn in, motion blur, black screen rating, view angles,rainbow effect, short bulb life, 720 vs 1080, color wheels etc, Jesus it's confusing or at least to me. Technolgy is great but I'm really lost as to what direction to head to so here goes, ANY BODY HERE REALLY HAVE A GOOD INFORMED OPINION?? Thanks, NSF
    Just Got Costco and PICK ONE OUT FOR Christsakes any VISIO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast