Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling solution maybe

I know I'm not the first person to have thought of this but , this past saturday I got a huge fist full grass in my pump which obviously prevented me from going anywhere . It was getting dark and we were still in front of the bluewater so it was no big deal but I was thinking . "There is no reason why I cant put a water pump like those V-drive foo's do on my boat ." Is there ? Am I missing something ? Yes my boat is a jet.
    At Idle the boat moved along just fine but then it started to get hot . I figured if I had a water pump , I could at least idle my own ass back to the dock or at least a beach without the motor over heating . True or false or is it even worth it or WTF !
    -beerjet-

repo man
    i see no reason why it wouldn't work

GofastRacer
    No problem at all, that's the way I'd do it that way you don't fill the block with sand and mud, I've bought boats dirt cheap because of that before!..

FlatStupid
    I know I'm not the first person to have thought of this but , this past saturday I got a huge fist full grass in my pump which obviously prevented me from going anywhere . It was getting dark and we were still in front of the bluewater so it was no big deal but I was thinking . "There is no reason why I cant put a water pump like those V-drive foo's do on my boat ." Is there ? Am I missing something ? Yes my boat is a jet.
    At Idle the boat moved along just fine but then it started to get hot . I figured if I had a water pump , I could at least idle my own ass back to the dock or at least a beach without the motor over heating . True or false or is it even worth it or WTF !
    -beerjet- Ask your brethern on the other channel they know everything!!!!!!

ol guy
    Why would you add another pump to a pump boat. Clean out the pump if you want to run in shallow water and reeds or grass. Thats what the clean-out and grate are for. Not being insulting but it's a jet boat, it will pull water from the bottom nomatter what the bottom may be. Also, that pump will feed more water to the motor than any neovane pump will.

GofastRacer
    that pump will feed more water to the motor than any neovane pump will.
    Yep sure does, and it will fill the block with garbage real quick too running is shallow water, not to mention fine tuning the impeller!..

ol guy
    Go fast racer. I REALLY like that one, Fine tune the impeller! Nothing like water and debri setting you're clearance for you! Meant as a complement! But rite-on.

I realize the jet pump supplies more water . I also realize a bunch of shit gets in the pump even with a grate . My thing was the over heating issue when the pump gets stuffed . I figure if a neovane pump can supply enough water at an idle which I'm sure they do , then all I have to do is worry about getting the birds nest out of the pump. I would also be capping the jet pump supply of course . One day I just buy a v-drive and all my problems will be solved , right :wink:
    -beerjet-

turbo wog
    i noticed that after i put the inducer in my pump ,i have yet to get something stuck in it . it used too be common to get a stick or piece of bark in my pump and disable my boat, hope this is helpfull.

Unchained
    Even if you change to a mechanical water pump there still has to be a pickup somewhere and that pickup can get clogged with weeds just the same as the jet pump. I've had the pickup on my cav plate get weeds blocking it off and it doesn't take much.
    Changing the timing cover and buying a hex drive and a cam drive water pump is not going to be cheap. It also would be the end of starting it up on the trailer because the cam drive pumps can't run dry.
    Better to make it work with what you have then adding another part that can go bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast