Thread: boost ???

flattie
    Im running 15% over on sunoco 110 making about 10 to 12lbs of boost. All good parts cometic head gaskets whats a safe limit I could up the boost to? Looking for more power!

Unchained
    I ran at 20# of boost for years on 110 octane with my turbo setup with no problems. The timing was at 33 degrees.

TIMINATOR
    Head bolts or studs? What surface finish on the block and heads? Aluminum or steel heads? Whose brand heads and how much quench do they have? These factors can change what you can do by 10 lbs or more. TIMINATOR

flattie
    The block is a gm iron block everthing is studded Aluminum stage 4 cnc port and polish Canfield heads 2 quickfuel technology 950 q series carbs

TIMINATOR
    Cometics with a smooth/diamond/cbn finish on block and heads are usually good to 20#, the Fel-Pro 1047s sometimes work better with aluminum heads beacuse the wire ring will sink/brinnel into the head and get more support. Sometimes the cometics work better. I run the cometics on the 565 w/alum heads and 14-71 at 11+ lbs, and fel-pros on the 572 nitrous deal 250/300 hp hit. The deal is don't detonate it and both will work to 16-20 lbs, no problem. Detonation will kick them at 6 lbs. TIMINATOR

77 runner
    Mark,
    Hey Mark,
    Mike from Walled Lake here...Harvey's nieghbor! Love your new boat Heard...it runs a little stronger than the jet...Ha! Just a little!
    Hey, I have that old banks deal with the draw threw carb...It runs 12lbs of boost in the flat with the 38's and the 2 speed and a 11-5/8 three blade menkins!
    Wondering..I have that msd BTM that retards the timming and wondering what you thought of 33 degress with 110 oct and my timming locked? I am going to use a reg msd 6al box..while the BTM is getting fixxed...so I can go to brower if its not back from the shop before I leave??
    I know you run pretty high exhause temp with your fuel injection...should I retard it more with my set up or would you think it should be good 1200 to 1300 deg blasts with 33deg and 110?? Any suggestions??I have inconel valves...also...and the good feldpro's?

Unchained
    Well I don't feel my opinion is too valid since I toasted a few pistons this summer.
    I never was a fan of units that indiscriminately subtract timing.
    The more timing you can run the more power it will make and that's where I got into trouble. ......She screamed until ................
    Locked timing would probably work OK with your setup. Try it.
    As far as EGT I run 1450 at idle and 1700+ at WOT . I really don't have a handle on what's a good number to shoot for. I tune until the AFR is right and disregard the EGT. I have a sensor but it's not even hooked up.
    As fas as how the boat runs with the vdrive as compared to the jet,
    I've been telling the wife since I assembled this that this boat is a whole different program than the jet was. Well I hit it good on monday when we were boating, a few second blast that took it up over 90. She just looked at me and said "WOW, Now I know why you're scared of it"
    When the left side of the boat lifts under accelleration, you know you're in for a ride.

BlownBaker
    Unchained, I would consider your offer of the headers. I ran a twin turbo Pro street 57 Chevy(former Bob Reiger car)in 2002 on the circuit on the west coast and attended the Orlando Street Car deal. I currently run a 580CID 12-71 innercooled BBC in my Baker and get noise tickets. Always dodging the MAN. And my wife can't stand the noise. I am familiar with Motec and Fast...I have a Fast on my 650CID 10.5 tire 69 Camaro. I have a lot of spare pieces around including 160lb injectors and 80mm turbos.Wanna talk? 949-690-4995 Mike (former Grand Rapids/Green Lake guy)