Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tundra or Dodge 1500

rivercrazy
    From Motor Trend...........0-60 in 8.6 seconds and 16.5 quarter mile at 83 mph.......
    2006 Truck Of The Year Road Test: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
    A Familiar Face Masks An All-New Personality
    By Editors of Motor Trend
    Photography by John Kiewicz, Brian Vance, Evan Wollenberg
    You're Probably wondering why we included the Ram 1500 in our 2006 Truck of the Year competition, especially since it looks nearly identical to the 2005 model. How different could it be from the previous year? A lot, to say the least. Besides minor alterations to the exterior--new headlights, a full chrome grille, revised bumpers, and a tailgate spoiler--the 2006 Ram has received significant upgrades under the skin, namely a fresh frame. While still hydroformed, the new architecture is stiffer--17 percent in bending, 5.5 percent in torsion--features a larger front crush zone and offers replaceable rail tips, similar to the Dakota's frame, for easier fender-bender repair. Bolted to the Ram's stronger bones is a heavily revised suspension, which sports retuned springs, bushings, and monotube dampers, as well as a new front control-arm, coil-over-shock setup on 4WD trims, which replaces the 2005's torsion bars.
    On-road, the benefits are immediately evident. The 2006 Ram feels "more responsive and locked down around the high-speed turns," as one editor noted. Another opined, "Handling is quite good (dare I say fun?) in the tight road course." The ride, even with the huge 20-inch wheels and low-profile Goodyears, was compliant, making the reworked cabin--now with more insulation, thicker glass, triple door seals, and a new instrument panel with an available nav system--an even more enjoyable and quieter space to occupy. Off the blacktop, however, the Ram bounced over the bumps: More body control, please. Power for our tester came from Dodge's renowned 5.7-liter Hemi pushrod V-8, but the 2006 iteration now boasts improved fuel economy--14/18 versus 13/17--thanks to an integrated Multi-Displacement System, which deactivates four cylinders under light-throttle applications.
    With 345 horsepower and 375 pound-feet of torque channeled through a seamless five-speed automatic, the Ram delivered strong, immediate power as well as impressive numbers--0 to 60 in 8.6 seconds and the quarter mile in 16.5 at 83.8 mph. The 2006 Ram is the undoubtedly the best Ram ever and will keep Dodge in the run against all-new entries from GM and Toyota next year.

Tom Brown
    16.2 for the hemi? that sounds wrong.
    I think we're used to seeing numbers like 11s and 12s for fast production cars. Those numbers, of course, are lies.
    A car that can do the quarter mile in an honest 15s is a fast car. Not the fastest, perhaps, but fast.
    The thing is, if you buy a 12s car from someone and take it to the track, it will take more than 12s to get through the run. Much more.
    The only time the numbers are valid is if two cars are tested at the same time on the same track using the exact same techniques. The resultant numbers are just a reference.

Outnumbered
    I've owned 3 Toyota P/U's a few Toyota cars, at least 3 GM trucks, and 4 Dodge P/U's/Durangos starting in 2001. The Dodges have been just as reliable as the Toyotas. The GM's were the worst.
    I just bought a 2007 Mega cab 4x4 2500. Very happy. I think you would be happy with either, but the Toyota is not worth the $$. For the price of the Tundra CrewMax you can buy a 2500 Mega Diesel. That is a no-brainer. Buy a Dodge diesel.

dmontzsta
    I think we're used to seeing numbers like 11s and 12s for fast production cars. Those numbers, of course, are lies.
    A car that can do the quarter mile in an honest 15s is a fast car. Not the fastest, perhaps, but fast.
    The thing is, if you buy a 12s car from someone and take it to the track, it will take more than 12s to get through the run. Much more.
    The only time the numbers are valid is if two cars are tested at the same time on the same track using the exact same techniques. The resultant numbers are just a reference.
    My old Maxima ran 14.6's, I guess that is one rice mobile that would have not lost to the mighty HEMI!!!

Outnumbered
    Who gives a fock about the 1/4 mile? This is a truck, not a ricer drag car

dmontzsta
    Who gives a fock about the 1/4 mile? This is a truck, not a ricer drag car
    In the IE if you do not have a fast truck, you are just a punk! Oh yeah and it has to be lifted as well, or you have a small penis too.

Tom Brown
    My old Maxima ran 14.6's, I guess that is one rice mobile that would have not lost to the mighty HEMI!!!
    My money would be on the 3rd gen Maxima SE. My Maxima is in the high 16s. I dare say I would lose to a hemi Ram.

rivercrazy
    I agree - trucks are not the best for racing.
    But hp/torque greatly benefits towing and carrying loads. As a side benefit, it also leads to better track times. Personally, I rather have more power than less.
    And as for pricing, there is no way I could have purchased a diesel powered 3/4 ton from Chevy, Ford, or Dodge for what I paid for the Tundra. Reality in the USA light truck market is big discounts off sticker price no matter what the brand.

dmontzsta
    My money would be on the 3rd gen Maxima SE. My Maxima is in the high 16s. I dare say I would lose to a hemi Ram.
    Maybe he should buy a Maxima? what is your towing capacity...I mean, your boat is pretty big, how does it do? I bet it handles better and rides smoother too!!!

Outnumbered
    I agree - trucks are not the best for racing.
    But hp/torque greatly benefits towing and carrying loads. As a side benefit, it also leads to better track times. Personally, I rather have more power than less.
    And as for pricing, there is no way I could have purchased a diesel powered 3/4 ton from Chevy, Ford, or Dodge for what I paid for the Tundra. Reality in the USA light truck market is big discounts off sticker price no matter what the brand.
    Don't be so sure. I bet I bought my truck for what you paid for the Toyota (if it is a loaded 4x4 CrewMax).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast