Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on removing midsection of 1986 225hp evinrude.

snappertapper
    there shold be a lifting eye on on the powerhead its self

ratso
    Some of the cross scavenged OMC's had a lifting eye mounted behind the flywheel. Being this is a Looper, I doubt it has one. If my memory serves me correctly, the power pack is mounted in that area. We still use our adapter anyway, lifting eye or not. Either way, be careful how you lift and secure it. 450 pounds is a lot of weight to come crashing down.

snappertapper
    if i am not mistaken there should be an eye on each cylinder head they are small if you can find a book on a new style 150 johnson they should be the same as in there

drewvir
    you need to lift the '86 loopers from the flywheel.qute little trick(auto harmonic balancer puller,5/8 eye bolt and a nut(goes where the center thrust bolt goes)and 3 5/16 fine thread bolts 2-1/2" long.
    lifting rig/flywheelpuller

cfauvel
    Originally posted by drewvir:
    you need to lift the '86 loopers from the flywheel.qute little trick(auto harmonic balancer puller,5/8 eye bolt and a nut(goes where the center thrust bolt goes)and 3 5/16 fine thread bolts 2-1/2" long.
    lifting rig/flywheelpuller
    Drew apparently you've read my post, I still can't get the rod that goes through the ram out. You seem to have experience with this engine, am I right in that there are two rods, the first closest to the engine, is used to stop the thrust of the engine, and the second , a few inches in towards the tilt is the pivot point of the ram?
    The parts catalog shows the pivot bar to be a third bar that is held in place by the fact it is sandwiched between the two engine side brackets....but my setup doesn't look like that..like I said it looks as though the second bar IS the pivot point...but alas is not moving (and I've boogered up one end quite a bit...hammering the metal has bent it a bit and thickened the diameter by 1/8" at least...so if I did get it to move I would move it as far as I could in the current direction, apply greas and hammer it out in the opposite direction from the side that isn't boogered up).
    PS. For whatever reason, I can push grease in the fitting that wasn't allowing me to, this past weekend. I guess the various pounding loosened some rust in some key area and now accepts grease.
    Please reply with any insight on how to get the bottom pivot point out.
    Regards
    Chris

snappertapper
    are you sure this motor is an 86 it sounds like yo have the fast trak power trim which has 1 large pivot pin on the bottom held in place by a c clamp on either end and the one on the top of the motor. In which case you will need a torch and a heavy hammer with a longer rod to hit the pin with after heating. this should do the trick if not please email me at bigfish1229@aol.com please include a picture if at all possible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12