Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: fuel

ed bullock
    i have burned pistons in my johnson 2.6 gt and my bridge port running 91 octane maybe i am having other problems than fuel but when i started running 91 octane that is when all my problems started . am i looking in the wrong area ? all i want to do is cover my bases if running av gas or c-12 or mixing either half and half is over kill but it gives me piece of mind and my troubles go away i can live with that. i have had out boards for 18 years and never had this problem until now. i could be barking up the wrong tree it could be something else but i think i will do av gas or c-12 any way and if that dosent work then i will have to just enjoy high performance in hot boat magazine that is if i can afford the supscpription after all my repairs. thank every one for all of your help truly you all have helped me with this problem.

snappertapper
    i dont know much about fuel but i seem to have pretty good luck running 89 mid grade haven had fuel related problem yet

HavasuDreamin'
    Ed, mix 50/50 91 octane and either av-gas or race fuel. You will be fine!

Skaterfast
    I can't remember ever purchasing gas at a marina or from a dock.This eliminates the chance of water in the gas.Just a little extra insurance.

ed bullock
    i have decided to use redline 2 stroke oil is this a good choice ? however i was told not to use it for break-in the sales man told me to use yama lube the motor is a 97 merc 260 hp 2.5 rebuild. do i still mix redline at 32 to 1 i have heard synthetics you use less oil ? i have also decided to mix pump with higher octane fuel half and half. as soon as my gaskets come in i will be ready to try it out thanks guys.

Skaterfast
    Long story short:Two guys bought 2 Stoker boats powered by your exact motor and took delivery 2 weeks apart.First guy wanted to save money so he ran Klotz oil.Second guy (me) was smart and bought a barrel of the high performance oil at a greatly reduced(about 1/2) price.He got lucky because when it blew up after 15 hours the shop who performed the waranty work didn't do much investigating and put a new power head on.He ran the Merc oil from then on.I would not change oils either,stick with what ever you break it in on.In my opinion it's not worth saving 100 or $200 a year,if in fact that's why you are not running Merc oil.Just my opinion.

ed bullock
    thanks for the reply the reason i was going to use red line was not because of price but it is on the shelf at my local merc dealer . theystock premium blend merc oil but i believe there is a step up from that isnt there ? they dont know what i am talking about when i ask for the race oil. if red line is not acceptable then by no means will i use it i live in salt lake where they think a 225 optimax is high performance. i took my boatin for a new water pump told them to ckeck the motor for loss of power i pick it up he told me it was fine i go to the lake same loss of power go home compression ckeck dead hole. thats what kind of people i deal with you guys are my gods when it comes to this .

HavasuDreamin'
    Klotz makes an excellent synthetic oil. You ever wonder why you see so many formula 1 boats with big Klotz stickers on the back? My motor guru who put together my motor swears by it. He is an ex-formula 1 racer. Personally, I have ran Klotz for 2 years now without any problems. I have also had excellent luck with Merc Synthetic. Ed, what you want is a synthetic lubricant. They are superior to the TCW-3, so whatever you brand you get, get a synthetic. I mix 32:1 because I hot rod around a lot. Some will say you can get away with 40:1, but why chance it. I always error on the conservative side. That equals more boating and less headaches.
    You can get ahold of Klotz and order oil through the mail. They are located in Ft. Wayne, IN. A case is about $145 with shipping (case = 4 gallons). Web address is www.klotzlube.com (http://www.klotzlube.com)
    You can also call them at 800-242-0489.
    Good Luck and safe boating. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

ed bullock
    so i get synthetic lube do i use it for break in the red line container says only use it if at 80 percent load what does that mean ? bottom line is i am a week away from ignition and want to have it dialed the dork at the boat shop told me to use yamalube for break in can i use any synthetic and be safe ? if i break in with something else i will have to switch back to synthetic wich is not good right ?

ed bullock
    if you mix 91 octane with 108 octane half and half would that bring the octane to 99 ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast