Thread: Detonation

Taylorman
    Whats the easiest way to tell if an engine is detonating? Is detonation what a knock sensor detects?

FILUCKY
    Yes, and if you think that you are getting detonation you should back the timing off intill it goes away, detonation is very hard on your motor.

Taylorman
    So whats the easiest way to tell if a motor is even slightly detonating?

antonmies
    Drill a small hole to an ear protectors cup and put one end of 8mm pneumatic line into it and attach the other end to the engine block. You'll hear the detonation as "rattling" noice and pings. But first you have to listen how the engine sounds when not under load to get to know the engines natural noises. I can't explain it better, but I guess you know what I mean.
    Problem with most knock sensing units is that they indicate knock even if there is no detonation. That is because the knock sensor is simply a microphone which gives more signal as the natural engine noise increases.

HOSS
    First of is it a car or boat? If a car turn on ac to max and while going up a bridge you`ll hear it if its pinging. Heavy load will do it. Just step up to next octane on fuel.

IMPATIENT 1
    Whats the easiest way to tell if an engine is detonating? Is detonation what a knock sensor detects?
    YEP, FUEL INJECTION VEHICLES USE KNOCK SENSORS TO RETARD TIMING IF THE MOTOR PINGS. THE KNOCK SENSOR KITS FOR CARB MOTORS WORK FINE BUT IN A BOAT I WOULD THINK THERE'S TO MUCH CLANKING FROM WAKES AND SUCH. ON A INJECTION MOTOR YOU CAN TAP ON THE BLOCK WITH A WRENCH AND WATCH THE KNOCK CHANGE VOLTAGE AND RETARD TIMING.I DON'T THINK THEY'D WORK FOR US. BETTER IDEA WOULD BE TO INSTALL A AIR/FUEL RATIO SYSTEM. JUST THE O2 BUNG BEING WELDED INTO A CHROME PLATED HEADER MAKES ME CRINGE! BUT WHEN YOU HAVE DETONATION, ITS RUNNIN LEAN TOO AND WILL SHOW UP BETTER WITH THE FUEL RATIO METER IN A BOAT.

rrrr
    Whats the easiest way to tell if an engine is detonating?
    When you pull the heads and there are holes in the pistons.
    Just keep driving it until it grenades.
    :220v: :crossx:

IMPATIENT 1
    So whats the easiest way to tell if a motor is even slightly detonating?
    IF YOU KNOW THAT FUEL SYSTEM IS TUNED FOR SURE, YOU CAN LOOK AT THE PLUGS FOR SCORCHING. I'VE SEEN SOME DETONATE SO BAD, IT BLEW OFF THE INSULATOR ON THE PLUGS.IMAGE WHAT THE REST OF THE MOTOR LOOKED LIKE!