Thread: 19' Daytona O/B ?

fat rat
    I'm going with a friend tomorow to look at a 19' Daytona.....1983 with a 1988 Merc 200, jack plate, 2 S/S props, the boat and trailer are suppose to be real clean. The Guy is asking $5800., is this a good or average deal? Anything I should be looking at? (ie. stress cracks in certain area's) Any suggestions would be helpful, thanx.
    Rat

Rocket2003
    Fat Rat, Take somebody with you that an check the Compresion on the motor, and check for leak down!
    Check the transom for rot! Any moister in transom can be Expen$ive!
    Other than that, sounds about right to me!

HavasuDreamin'
    Price sounds cheap! I am guessing it will be beat up. Rocket is right. Look for any moisture in the transom and stringers (rear portion). On the transom exterior, look for any brown water streaks running down from the rub rail. This is wood gunk from the transom. Also look inside at the bracing and transom itself. It will be a very good thing if the guy has used a transom brace........it runs from the gear case to the trailer when being towed.
    Don't worry about some stress cracks which typically occur near the pickles and front deck area in the center, and also towards the top of the transom.
    Things to keep in mind. Compression check....should be around 125 psi stock. Gear case mods. Should have a nose cone/lwp. Would also help to have a heavy duty bearing carrier. Would also be a plus if he is running stainless washers instead of T-stats (motor would run cooler).
    Let us know what you find out. Like I said, $5,800 is cheap. If the boat is in tip top condition, I think it could fetch $10K.
    HD

fat rat
    We looked at the boat and this is what we found: interior good shape, no tears, cracks or fading, gel-coat faded (could be buffed) also large crack in deck (12"), transom was broken at one time.....where the aft deck transitions vertically (30" left to right) but has been reinforced, transom seems to be solid (did a delaminate test inside and out and it also has an internal transom brace that attaches to stringers......compression on motor mid 130's (+/-)....trailer appears to be homemade (not to bad), Personally I think $5800. is high. Whats your opinion?

fat rat
    HavasuDreamin':
    Price sounds cheap!
    Things to keep in mind. Compression check....should be around 125 psi stock. Gear case mods. Should have a nose cone/lwp. Would also help to have a heavy duty bearing carrier. Would also be a plus if he is running stainless washers instead of T-stats (motor would run cooler).
    Let us know what you find out. Like I said, $5,800 is cheap. If the boat is in tip top condition, I think it could fetch $10K.
    HD Do you still think it's a good deal?
    It does have an aluminum nose cone w/low water pick-up......it also has a Bob's Machine tail and as far as evertthing else I don't know........excuse my lack of knowledge with O/B'S....but I am getting a lesson.

HavasuDreamin'
    Well, I am not sure if it is a good deal or not. Can you post any pictures or describe the cracks on the deck and broken transom in a little bit more detail? Specifically, where on the deck is it cracked. Where and how was the transom broken and how was it fixed. The transom worries me a bit.
    The knee braces running from the inside part of the transom to the stringers are standard. The wood on the transom and stringers should be solid. The stringers should not be deformed where the knee braces bolt through. This is a sign of soft stringers.
    If the transom was completely rebuilt and done right, that is fine. If it was micky moused back together, I would be concerned.
    I can tell you about my experience over the last 12 years with a 19' Daytona. My 19' Daytona is an '81 model and has some stress cracks where you would typically find cracks in these boats. Up front along the inside/top portion of the pickles, and also where the raised center portion of the deck meets the flatter portion of the deck up front and in the center. I have seen lots of 19's and this is generally where they crack. They are surface cracks and are no big deal.
    At the transom, mine has some stress cracks running from side to side near the top of the transom on the outside. About 4" or so down from the top, but above the rub rail. Again, they are surface cracks. My transom is solid, it was completely rebuilt in about '96 or so with new wood and glass.
    A couple of questions you may want to ask the owner to help you decifer how good of shape the boat is in. Did he frequently (meaning a couple of times a summer) tighten down all the bolts on the O/B bracket inside and out? Did he use a transom brace when towing the boat (as explained above)? Does the O/B have an aftermarket heavy duty bearing carrier? What was the minimum water pressure he ran the motor at?
    I had to have my transom rebuilt because I didn't trailer it with a transom brace. There was a lot of stress on the transom every time we went over a bump in the road. Subsequently, the bolts started to loosen up, and we didn't know that we should be putting a wrench on them frequenlty. The O/B bracket became loose, and water started seeping in the transom and rotted it out where the bracket bolts through the boat. cry
    I have been through two gearcases. There is a lot of stress on the gearcase when you run a prop at the surface. The heavy duty bearing carrier helps a lot. Merc's require about 10psi water pressure (minimum) when running WOT. I now run mine at about 12-15 psi. I fried a power head running less.
    Sorry for the long winded post, I am just trying to help you and your buddy avoid the same headaches I went through. Feel free to give me a call if your buddy is serious about this boat.
    Just for your information, mine is pretty much show quality with a 2.4 carb bridgeport (Merc) on a custom tandem trailer. I think it is worth about $12K. Also, the 1988 2.4L 200 hp black max is a good motor. It will respond to mods well.
    Mike
    (317) 223-3096
    [ August 22, 2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

fat rat
    HD.....long winded responce's are good, especially in a case like this.....Thanx for all your advice.......I was hoping for more input from other's on this subject. We'll be in touch this weekend.
    [ August 23, 2003, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: fat rat ]

Rocket2003
    The motor is worth $4000.00 All buy it's self. The boat is worth $3000 and the trailer well, let's say it's a gimmy!
    It's the end of the summer, offer the guy $4800.00 and see if he'll take it!
    The purchase of the boat is only the begining of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! My dad always says,
    "A Boat is a hole in the water in which you pour money!"
    Good luck!
    My two cents.

fat rat
    Does anyone else have anything to say on this? My friend is still hagling with the Guy. argue
    Whats your opinion......good, OK or bad deal?

I know pic's are worth a thousand words!
    [ September 02, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: fat rat ]

fat rat
    [ September 02, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: fat rat ]