Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk about a Jet W/ a Gearbox...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    What about running a jet with something similar to a casale box to change the impeller speed? Whachs think??? :idea: :idea: :idea:

wet77
    I was just thinking of something like that a few days ago :rollside:
    I was watching some monster truck show and how they use planetary drives on the wheels to go so fast with big wheels
    Wonder if something like that could be used to spin the impeller fast at a lower motor rpm :idea: :rollside: :220v:

cyclone
    a few guys have used gear boxes successfully. Steve Brule used to run one back in the day. I think Mike Miller told me he tried it but it didn't work in his application. Maybe they'll chime in here...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I was thinking about spinning 5500r's on the motor and 8000r's on the pump

Riverat84
    that would be badass if you could go 65 w/ the engine thinking its running 30...kinda like an overdrive...anyone know how much the overhead cost would be to convert such a boat say like mine?

FILUCKY
    Garry Snow (SDBA069) runs gear box's in some of his race boats. 500ci prostock style N/A motors that need lots of rpm 8-9000rpm. I'm sure he will chime in later on this subject.

hack job
    do a search this has been covered many times

Riverat84
    Garry Snow (SDBA069) runs gear box's in some of his race boats. 500ci prostock style N/A motors that need lots of rpm 8-9000rpm. I'm sure he will chime in later on this subject.
    alright, well BUMP until he does.

djunkie
    What about running a jet with something similar to a casale box to change the impeller speed? Whachs think??? :idea: :idea: :idea:
    Why don't you just get a real boat then? Like a v-drive. :jawdrop: LOL!!!!!!!

Nicked prop
    is to set up the gear box in an "underdrive" configuration. That is, spin the motor at higher rpms while using a larger impeller at an rpm lower than the motor is turning. In theory this allows a high performance motor to turn the rpms needed to make power while using a larger impeller which is, in theory, generally more efficient thana smaller impeller. The rub is the power robbed by the gear box (primarily friction) generally offsets the advantage offered by a larger impeller. And, the gearbox usually requires moving the motor forward which is not always a good thing, either. Others more knowledgeable than I may be able to explain it better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast