Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DCB MACH 22 PROMAX OR 300X????

mbrown2
    I say twins....if you single, you will want to go faster, and there is only so much you can do with a single pro max 300x. Yes, the maint, gas, etc..is more, but when you read the tests with the twins, the acceleration is incredible. I have heard from a number of folks that the single might handle chop better due to the weight displacement, but how much better is questionable...the 22 with single or twins is not going to be a BIG chop boat anyway...The boat looks tight with twins as well...and you will get used to it in a matter of months, so after you are comfortable doing high eighties or low nineties, you will be looking for more speed...
    Plus once, you put additional folks and gear in the boat, the twin is going to be less affected by the increase in weight, and you will still be able to go fast...where is the single with weight added is going to be affected to a greater degree..just depends on what is more important less speed or more speed with more complexity and maint. cost...my .02

kab
    Well you might be right, but it wont take long to learn how to drive that thing. You'll probably be out in that thing every other day, at least every weekend.

mbrown2
    Tobtek,
    BTW, thx for the advice you gave me on the used 22 Twin Optimax boat at DCB...when I went to look at it sometime back...it was just as you statedd..great boat, not great colors..I saw the same..that it was and incredibly equipped and immaculate boat with a very questionable color scheme....even now my wife says "I would never have let you buy that boat"...the colors did not look that bad online, but in person the gray and other colors just did not sit well.

TOBTEK
    mbrown2:
    Tobtek,
    BTW, thx for the advice you gave me on the used 22 Twin Optimax boat at DCB...when I went to look at it sometime back...it was just as you statedd..great boat, not great colors..I saw the same..that it was and incredibly equipped and immaculate boat with a very questionable color scheme....even now my wife says "I would never have let you buy that boat"...the colors did not look that bad online, but in person the gray and other colors just did not sit well.and if your going to have the weight of two motors, ya gotta go 2.5's. If its worth doing, do it right!

mbrown2
    Gotta agree with you there....I would do the 2.5 twins on the 22 before I would do twin 300's due to the lighter weight and ability to rev..In fact the engine combo, I would try to find or go with would be the 2.5 Offshore Racing...higher rev limiter without the gas requirements of the drag...but the drags would be tempting..

TOBTEK
    mbrown2:
    Gotta agree with you there....I would do the 2.5 twins on the 22 before I would do twin 300's due to the lighter weight and ability to rev..In fact the engine combo, I would try to find or go with would be the 2.5 Offshore Racing...higher rev limiter without the gas requirements of the drag...but the drags would be tempting..dave was saying to me that twin 300's are to heavy for a 22. I was refering to the twin 225's in the showroom. Are you diggin the new 26? put up a pic of it so we can check it out.

ZSARGO
    TOBTEK:
    QUESTION OF THE DAY?????? do I buy the used/flawfless MACH22 with twin 2.5's that are almost brandnew or get the brandnew 03 MACH22 with a single 300x and spent about 10,000.00 more for the slower, not as trick NEW boat.....HELP ME MAKE A CHOICE! I THINK FOR THE PRICE THE TWIN IS A GREAT DEAL. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THE 2.5'S IS THE COST OF THE OIL, SINCE YOU HAVE TO RUN THE SYNTHETIC STUFF, AND THE CHARGING SYSTEM. MY BATTERIES WOULD ALWAYS DIE WITH THE 2.5. ARE THE HEADS HIGH COMPRESSION? MEANING YOU HAVE TO RUN AV GAS. I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY BOUGHT THIS BOAT FOR THE ASKING PRICE IF IT WAS AVAILABLE WHEN I WAS IN THE MARKET. I PICKED UP MY 22 FOR $30K AS A REPO SO I COULDN'T PASS IT UP. I KNEW THAT SOMEDAY I WOULD HAVE TO EITHER PUT ANOTHER 2.5 ON IT, SELL IT FOR PROFIT OR GET A 300X. I HEAR THE TWIN 2.5 IS A BITCH TO DRIVE IN BIGGER CHOP BECAUSE THE WEIGHT ON THE BACK OF THE BOAT MAKES THE IT ALMOST STAND UP ON END. BUT YOU KNOW.... ONCE YOU DRIVE THE SINGLE 300X FOR A WHILE YOU MIGHT WISH YOU BOUGHT THE TWINS. I'M ALREADY LOOKING AT UPGRADES FOR MY 300X THAT I DON'T EVEN OWN YET. THEN I WILL HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TILL THE WARRANTY RUNS OUT. I WAS LOOKING ON MAD EFI'S WEB SIGHT AND THEY HAVE AN IGNITION SYSTEM, TUNER AND LIGHTER FLY WHEEL FOR THE 300X. CLAIMING 360+ HP ON PUMP GAS.

ZSARGO
    Boatmaster:
    Just for the record the 115 is where it's at. My 21 dcb with twins that I just sold was only 900 a year with overkill on the coverage. My new 25 with twin 300 is only 1400, same overkill coverage. It's all about life over 100MPH. P.S. One thing I will say that 22 with a single 300X will run much better in the Chop than the one with twins, and be much more user friendly. Can't wait to see it at Shasta next summer good luck with the color pick.BOATMASTER,
    WHO'S YOUR INSURANCE CARRIER? THAT'S CHEAP. MY QUESTION IS DO THEY KNOW THE BOAT DOES OVER 100MPH. I HAVE A BUDDY WHO HAS INSURANCE THROUGH ALLSTATE. HIS BOAT DOES 108MPH AND IS A CAT. ALLSTATE DOESN'T INSURE CATS OR BOATS OVER 65 MPH. I CALLED HIS AGENT TO GET A QUOTE. HE ASKED ME "HOW FAST IS YOUR BOAT." I SAID 75. HE SAID 65. NO. I SAID 75. HE ASKED AGAIN 65. AGAIN I REPLIED NO 75. HE SAID COME ON WORK WITH ME. I'M LOOKING TO BUY INSURANCE IF SOMETHING HAPPENS, NOT A PIECE OF PAPER THAT SAYS I HAVE INSURANCE. AGENTS WON'T ASK THE QUESTION. THEY WILL PUT DOWN A SPEED ON THE APPLICATION THAT FITS WITHIN THE GUIDELINES AND COLLECT A COMMISSION.
    [ September 25, 2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

TOBTEK
    ZSARGO:
    TOBTEK:
    QUESTION OF THE DAY?????? do I buy the used/flawfless MACH22 with twin 2.5's that are almost brandnew or get the brandnew 03 MACH22 with a single 300x and spent about 10,000.00 more for the slower, not as trick NEW boat.....HELP ME MAKE A CHOICE! I THINK FOR THE PRICE THE TWIN IS A GREAT DEAL. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THE 2.5'S IS THE COST OF THE OIL, SINCE YOU HAVE TO RUN THE SYNTHETIC STUFF, AND THE CHARGING SYSTEM. MY BATTERIES WOULD ALWAYS DIE WITH THE 2.5. ARE THE HEADS HIGH COMPRESSION? MEANING YOU HAVE TO RUN AV GAS. I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY BOUGHT THIS BOAT FOR THE ASKING PRICE IF IT WAS AVAILABLE WHEN I WAS IN THE MARKET. I PICKED UP MY 22 FOR $30K AS A REPO SO I COULDN'T PASS IT UP. I KNEW THAT SOMEDAY I WOULD HAVE TO EITHER PUT ANOTHER 2.5 ON IT, SELL IT FOR PROFIT OR GET A 300X. I HEAR THE TWIN 2.5 IS A BITCH TO DRIVE IN BIGGER CHOP BECAUSE THE WEIGHT ON THE BACK OF THE BOAT MAKES THE IT ALMOST STAND UP ON END. BUT YOU KNOW.... ONCE YOU DRIVE THE SINGLE 300X FOR A WHILE YOU MIGHT WISH YOU BOUGHT THE TWINS. I'M ALREADY LOOKING AT UPGRADES FOR MY 300X THAT I DON'T EVEN OWN YET. THEN I WILL HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TILL THE WARRANTY RUNS OUT. I WAS LOOKING ON MAD EFI'S WEB SIGHT AND THEY HAVE AN IGNITION SYSTEM, TUNER AND LIGHTER FLY WHEEL FOR THE 300X. CLAIMING 360+ HP ON PUMP GAS.les....these are stock 2.5's not the ss drag motors (92 pump gas)and the rev limiter is set very low, which I like. these are the newer 2.5's EFI and with the 50amp generators, so batteries SHOULDN't be a problem. Im still on the fense, get new with warranty and everything I want, or some badass twin for less $$$$$ ? dont know..will depend if he accepts my offer....

ZSARGO
    TOBTEK:
    ZSARGO:
    TOBTEK:
    QUESTION OF THE DAY?????? do I buy the used/flawfless MACH22 with twin 2.5's that are almost brandnew or get the brandnew 03 MACH22 with a single 300x and spent about 10,000.00 more for the slower, not as trick NEW boat.....HELP ME MAKE A CHOICE! I THINK FOR THE PRICE THE TWIN IS A GREAT DEAL. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THE 2.5'S IS THE COST OF THE OIL, SINCE YOU HAVE TO RUN THE SYNTHETIC STUFF, AND THE CHARGING SYSTEM. MY BATTERIES WOULD ALWAYS DIE WITH THE 2.5. ARE THE HEADS HIGH COMPRESSION? MEANING YOU HAVE TO RUN AV GAS. I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY BOUGHT THIS BOAT FOR THE ASKING PRICE IF IT WAS AVAILABLE WHEN I WAS IN THE MARKET. I PICKED UP MY 22 FOR $30K AS A REPO SO I COULDN'T PASS IT UP. I KNEW THAT SOMEDAY I WOULD HAVE TO EITHER PUT ANOTHER 2.5 ON IT, SELL IT FOR PROFIT OR GET A 300X. I HEAR THE TWIN 2.5 IS A BITCH TO DRIVE IN BIGGER CHOP BECAUSE THE WEIGHT ON THE BACK OF THE BOAT MAKES THE IT ALMOST STAND UP ON END. BUT YOU KNOW.... ONCE YOU DRIVE THE SINGLE 300X FOR A WHILE YOU MIGHT WISH YOU BOUGHT THE TWINS. I'M ALREADY LOOKING AT UPGRADES FOR MY 300X THAT I DON'T EVEN OWN YET. THEN I WILL HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TILL THE WARRANTY RUNS OUT. I WAS LOOKING ON MAD EFI'S WEB SIGHT AND THEY HAVE AN IGNITION SYSTEM, TUNER AND LIGHTER FLY WHEEL FOR THE 300X. CLAIMING 360+ HP ON PUMP GAS.les....these are stock 2.5's not the ss drag motors (92 pump gas)and the rev limiter is set very low, which I like. these are the newer 2.5's EFI and with the 50amp generators, so batteries SHOULDN't be a problem. Im still on the fense, get new with warranty and everything I want, or some badass twin for less $$$$$ ? dont know..will depend if he accepts my offer....CAN'T GO WRONG THEN. EVEN IF YOU PAY THE FULL $58,500 FOR IT, IT'S STILL A SMOKING DEAL. I HAVE TO AGREE THAT IT DOES LOOK MUCH BETTER WITH THE TWINS.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast