Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Old Waterski Racers

spectras only
    I remember one of your boats having the Cask and Cleaver on the side.
    This is Burt >
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/B...pectra32.2.jpg
    Vic Edelbrock also had a 32 with # 427 on the side .

Racey
    Vic Edelbrock also had a 32 with # 427 on the side .
    It's been sitting in our shop next door in storage for the last couple years, We put a new interior in it, it's cleeeean. But the original spectra 32's are nothing quality wise to the few we popped from the molds, the old ones have very flimsy decks. Our's we built for 10 person dance parties on the deck

spectras only
    Racey , Burt told me once that the 32's had a little flex :idea: . I've been on
    David Kahn's , but never had a chance thumping on his deck .My
    20 and 24 Spectra decks were strong . You could dance on them without
    feeling any flex :idea: The 19 [ 1978] we still have feels pretty stout
    too .You do have the moulding for the 32 , right ? How much would
    you build a hull/deck only ? They would go pretty good with two n/a 572's.
    Ps; would Vic ever sell his ? I know he has his megayacht up here that he probably uses more
    often , hehe.

burtandnancy2
    Spectras, thanks for putting up that old picture of my boat, even though I have a scrapbook full of old race boat photo's, I'm incapable of doing so. And you are all correct, that long deck (for its day) was a little flexy. As I remember, Jerry Herbst and Vic Edelbrock both had red and white boats, Steve Rados had an orange and white, and the partner of Spectra Boats had a brown and white. The designer, Bud Bailey still lives in Boulder City...

spectras only
    Burt , you should come visit here and bring your pictures :idea: . I'll scan and fix them on Photoshop ,so we can post them here on HB .

Racey
    Vic sold his a couple year ago to Bob Brain, Rados sold his orange and white one about 15 years ago when my dad built his new Grey/Yellow/Blue from the molds, He is talking about wanting to build another new one since his current one was made in about 92' (it still looks brand new, has had brummett 572's in it for the last few seasons) He just want's to get another maybe before it's too late. About 5 years ago we talked to some glass guy about doing a bare from the molds, he wanted 40k+ then for laying one up. If we do another one we're gonna work the bottom over, take the hook out, do vinyl-ester and some composite, and try and get some weight out of the front without giving up too much strength.
    I love the 32, think its still the best looking boat of that size range, and the way we've built them and all the interieror finish work, teak cabinets, flow coated bilges with all the wood showing, no one can match us in those departments. But i really like building the V-Drive stuff alot more, it's alot more of a challenge, and I really enjoy fabbing and machining the one-off stuff, hardware etc. Slapping Drives and Tabs on, and suspended motor mounts are pretty much a cinch to do compared to a V-drive boat, and doesnt really leave room for any fancy metal fab. But ya never know, we might end up doing another....

burtandnancy2
    WHAT! My 32 had a hook in it?
    And all the time we thought Rados just regelled his old boat...

spectras only
    They sure look good . Would look even better with longer deck/shortened cabin .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/32%20%20spectra.jpg
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/3...pectra%202.jpg

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Spectras, thanks for putting up that old picture of my boat, even though I have a scrapbook full of old race boat photo's, I'm incapable of doing so. And you are all correct, that long deck (for its day) was a little flexy. As I remember, Jerry Herbst and Vic Edelbrock both had red and white boats, Steve Rados had an orange and white, and the partner of Spectra Boats had a brown and white. The designer, Bud Bailey still lives in Boulder City...
    Bring them pics over and i'll post them and show you how in the process. Don't you live in Alta Loma?

burtandnancy2
    V-Drive, no I'm not fortunate enough to live in Alta Loma, although my kids do. My wife and I settled in Rancho Cucamonga in the condo's just outside Red Hill Country Club. But we should get together and share war stories sometime over a cold one...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast