Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colton Cable Ski-Way

skyskier
    So we're sitting around the campfire an I'm telling the kids about the wild & wooly days at the river back when there was not a single boat on the Parker strip Monday thru Thursday, nobody for us "kids" to bum a ski ride from, so we'd go out off of Poston road and tie a ski line onto the rear bumper of one of the cars a ski down the canal. They thought that was pretty crazy, and then I told them about the Cable Ski-way out in Colton. Just wondering if there are any "skiers" here that went to this place? Anybody maybe got some old pictures? As best as I can recall the place had a "channel" maybe 60 feet wide, laid out in a semi square with rounded corners. You'd start out at a takeoff place with a ski handle attached to an overhead cable with some sort of a tension control, like a snow ski bunny tow setup? Anyway, once you got going you could "cut" maybe 40 feet or so left and right, and when you fell, you'd walk over to the shoreline and back to one of the takeoff points. I got kicked out of the place more than once cause if you went out so far as to use all the slack, you could get some serious "air" coming back in, kinda like they do with the ski kites today.

HavaSkank
    What the hell? This was in Colton? That's my old hood...I've never heard of this before.

skyskier
    What the hell? This was in Colton? That's my old hood...I've never heard of this before.
    You'll have to be old enough to have seen Jimi Hendrix, Sonny & Cher and The Ike & Tina Turner Revue, LIVE, at the Cinnamon Cinder, in Long Beach California at the "Trafficd Circle" ...... R U that old?

dirty old man
    Yes, I skied there way back in the late 50's, maybe 60's. Although I was a skier, I had trouble with the starts, the rope was way up on towers. The place was North of the SB Freeway, don't remember which offramp. CRS

mark49
    Been to cable ski tow on many occasions, it was on Valley Blvd, i remember getting jerked right out of the water at that time... Could be a viable business once again with the wake boarders.
    Yes and I’m an old hard rock N’ roller

HavaSkank
    So weird! I grew up in Reche Canyon, right outside of Colton. I went to Colton hs and NEVER in my 39 years have I heard of such a place.
    Off of Valley, huh? Valley and what? I cant even remotely think of where this could have been.

mark49
    Valley and Pepper just next to the old Sam Sneed golf course off the 10 fwy.
    I think they closed it down around the early or mid 70s
    39 huh i grew up in Colton/The Canyon, Grand Terrace, we may know alotta the same people although im older they you, Also graduated from Colton High. Moved away and then came back to settle down, sorta.

HavaSkank
    Colton, the Canyon and GT are tiny communities. I'd bet a lot of money we have a freak or two in common.
    So it was near the dorky Ghost Town near Valley and Pepper?

mark49
    West side of Pepper, was a happin' place in its hayday

HavaSkank
    So when did you graduate from Colton?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast