Last summer, the trim switch that I placed the previous winter on the underside of my motor cowling faltered and stuck in the "UP" position. It made ugly sounds once it tilted fully upright as the solenoid did not stop. To get it to stop, I hit the down button on my wheel and of course it made more ugly sounds before it finally stopped. I disconnected it to get through the trip, and then mounted a new switch. The new switch started to falter after a couple of uses.
First, my trim unit sounds puiny now and I think something was damaged. It does not move nearly as fast as it use to prior to the incident and sounds like it is moving slower. A buddy of mine told me to replace the trim motor. He said most likely I stripped out some gears in it. Does this sound right? If so, what will a new trim motor cost me for a 2.4L Merc and how hard is it to install?
Second, I believe the water coming off the boat at speed destroyed both my trim switchs causing them to falter. I would like to keep a switch there as it makes it easy to put the motor brace on for towing. Does anyone know where I can get a water proof trim switch to mount on my cowling? Thanks. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
[This message has been edited by HavasuDreamin' (edited March 20, 2002).]