Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need info on what this hull/motor may be please...

Terminal Velocity
    This is a boat for an upcoming auction. A friend of mine has asked me if I thought it was worth looking into.
    Does anyone have an idea what the hull might be and possibly what the motor is?
    Thanks in advance....
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/542boat_at_auction-med.jpg[/img]

Boat Racer
    My 2 cents worth: either a Laser or a Checkmate? But just a guess, and would say more towards a Checkmate..
    Motor: I'd say a Merc. 1500, inline 6!!!

Phat_Kat
    That motor looks like a REALLY OLD merc. Somewhere around 150HP. The hull I have no clue

Stupid Fast
    My money is that it is a Cee Bee Avenger. The moter is an Inline 6 71-about 82 90-150 horse all looked very similar. Very fast boat (uncle had one with a 1500) but built for flat water only.

Terminal Velocity
    so what would you guys say it's worth? I don't know what my buddy's plan is and I don't know what kind of shape the motor or anything is in.
    Let's say it's running good, cleaned up nice and all what would you think a good sell price would be?
    Thanks again for your inputs

Back To Havasu
    It is my belief that the engine might be an older inline six Merc. That is because it has a pull starter, and after about 100 hp give or take, Merc didn't put a pull starter handle on them anymore. The smallest the engine could be is a 1959 60hp 66cubic inch. The largest, as I said, could be in the 100+/- range. The rig is worth maybe $1,000.00 if it's all there and works fine. Just my $.02.

Tom Brown
    I'm with BTH. As well as the pull handle, it looks like the cowl has some chrome trim which wasn't there in the 70s, either.
    Notice the drivers side windshield is broken too.
    That pulley and bar ski tow is cool, though.
    Keep in mind that the engine mount bolt pattern changed sometime around 72 so you're drawing from a pretty limited supply of pre 72 powerheads and parts if the engine lets go. I believe the gear cases are interchangeable, though.
    -- Tom

cdaspeed
    Hard to see in that pic Tom,
    OLD MERC
    Is the exauhst through the prop?
    If not, Steer clear of it!
    If need be, I have a shit load of parts for inline 6 mercs. Even have some direct reversing stuff.

HalletDave
    That sure does look like an Avenger hull. I used to have a '75 Avenger jet.
    I don't know what brand of lawn tool is hangin' off the transom. eek!
    HD

Boat Racer
    If all is as you say $1500.00 tops!!!!!
    I'd say that would be generous!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast