Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CALLING ALL YOU WANNA-BE RACERS

Flashwave
    Hi Frank,
    Ok here we go.
    A good start: Get out in front in clean water and stay there to the first turn. This can give you an advantage for the entire race as the boats are so evenly matched. Water that is not aerated from someone elses prop gives your prop more bite thus more speed.
    Attrition: We put a lot of strain on parts. Frequently drives give out. Bravo drives are built very strong, however, while turning, we put side loadings on the cases most boaters would not. We also spin them up coming out of the water and don't lift going back in. This puts extreme forces on the gears and clutch. Probably the reason Mercury will not warranty products that are raced. The pounding the boats take can make trim pumps break, seats come loose, engine mounts break and the list goes on.
    Production class: Speed is the determining factor for "P" class. Boat length is not defined in the rules. From the rule book, "performance class is a place to race almost any boat, test your skill, start your racing career and test your products and equipment"
    Please keep the questions coming.
    Jim

nextasex
    Jim, ok, what size and make boats and what power are normally in the P class. How many P classes are there and what are their restrictions and requirements? Did Lavey take second and if they did, how much did they lose to you by? hey, thanks for the info!
    frank

Flashwave
    Hi Frank,
    PERFORMANCE CLASSES........SPEED.........NUMBER DESIGINATION
    Performance Extreme-Cat*.......110+ MPH......PX-#
    Performance Extreme-Vee*......110+ MPH......PV-#
    Performance Class 1..................100-109 MPH **...P1-#
    Performance Class 2...................90-99 MPH...P2-#
    Performance Class 3...................80-89 MPH...P3-#
    Performance Class 4...................70-79 MPH...P4-#
    Performance Class 5...................Below 70 MPH....P5-#
    Most of the time in P5 I see 24 to 29 ft boats with 502's and HP 500's. It really does not matter what the power is as long as it's top speed is not over 70. I have seen a Magnum, Sunsation, Cigarette, Baja, Pantera, Donzi, Seahawk and others run in P5.
    Yes the Lavey took second. I'm still waiting to see the official time to know exactly how much we beat the Lavey by. I would estimate 2 to 3 minutes. We'll see when its posted.
    Jim

nextasex
    Jim, thanks for taking the time, i still have more questions though
    are these all the classes? where do the f1 and f2 fall in? how intense is the P5 class and how much $$$ wise to get into a race. are the sponsors big in the P5 class? in other words, is it bigtime? or is it like "run what you brung" type deal?
    thanks
    frank

Skaterfast
    Where would my 24' Skater with stock 225 Promaxs fit in and what would I be running against.By the way thanks guys for the encouragement on trying to go racing.If my wife even knew I was talking about racing the family cruiser she would flip.

Flashwave
    The other classes are:
    Super V
    Super Cat
    Super V Light Twin
    Super V Light Single
    Super Cat Light Inboard
    Super Cat Light Outboard Triple
    Super Cat Light Outboard Twin
    Factory 2
    Factory 1
    You can look at the specifications for each of these classes at:
    http://www.pacificoffshore.com/racerules.html
    To start racing you would need the following:
    Join APBA: $260.00
    Join POPRA: $175.00
    Register Boat w/ APBA: P-Class: $400
    Life Jacket : +-$400.00
    Helmet: +-$300.00
    The P Classes do not have that many boats locally or on the Pro series. Most are self sponsored or sponsored through companies they own. Occasionally you'll find a sponsor who most likely is someone you already know.
    Jim

Flashwave
    Skaterfast,
    Pick your top speed and you would fit in the Performance class for that speed.
    Jim

nextasex
    Hey Jim, thanks for all the info. i will check out the link you provided. competition is always fun!
    thanks again,
    frank

Skaterfast
    Flashwave:
    Skaterfast,
    Pick your top speed and you would fit in the Performance class for that speed.
    JimOK my top speed is 58mph.Ha Ha.

Flashwave
    Skaterfast,
    In that case Paul Abreu may want to take a ride with you. I'm sure he can find another mile an hour or so. Wouldn't want any stone walling going on...now would we? Ha. Come on out. Let's see what that 58 mph boat will really do..
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12