Thread: Saddle tank mounting?

ZRCTION
    Recently I cut out the fiberglass fuel tanks from my newly aquired Baron Sprint. They were leaking, you would not believe the stuff that I found in them. Rocks, tools, sand, alot of sand, and a valve spring!
    Anyway, back to my question. I am instaling 2 new stainless tanks under each side, the mounts that were provided have me drilling holes thru the bottom of the boat. Not that I'm affraid of doing this but is there another style mount that does'nt require the holes? Some ideas and pics would be cool.

ZRCTION
    Round tanks. I thought about a riser so far it seems to be the best I can come up with.

snake321
    Drill the holes, cover the heads with poxy putty or something like that and spot paint the marks. You'll forget that they're even there. One of my boats has them.

67weimann
    Glass in some mounts to bolt them to. Use the same mount you have, just use shorter bolts and get creative.

I've had a couple boat thru bolted with flat heads, never had any issues.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Mine are bolted through. Never had a problem...

Sangerboy
    Both my Canyon and the Sanger are bolted through the hull, with no problems over the years.

"The Bandit"
    i'v thrue bolted tanks for 40 years with out a problem. after the holes are drilled besure to seal them [water caint get to wood] SS fatheads [I like allans] &nylocks. good RTV &don't to cowboy on the tight. hope this is a help. ANDY

jimsplace
    If you drill through wood, drill the hole oversize 5/16 to a 3/8 or 3/8 to 1/2.
    Fill the hole with an epoxy type putty. Marine Tex, Devcon aluminum putty, or mix your own.
    Drill the hole through the middle of the epoxy after it has cured several days, You are now drilling through a pillar. Be sure to use a sealer with the bolt. Even if it leaks, you still do not damage any wood.

ZRCTION
    thanks for the reply's. I'm just about ready to start all the rigging. The boat is at Extreme Custom trailers getting jigged up for a brand new trailer. Can't wait to get her on the new wheels.